Your Account Your Account
Start or Stop Utility Service Start or Stop Utility Service
Contact Us Contact Us
Insulate attics, exterior walls and crawl space walls (rebates available).
Go Solar in 2019
Fort Collins Utilities Solar Rebate Program supports customers generating their own renewable energy, providing incentives and guidance to help make sure each solar project is a success. Rebates are available for both home and business customers.
- Residential: up to $1,500*
- Commercial: up to $100,000*
Bill Credits for Solar Generation:
When you generate solar power, any energy you don't use immediately flows back into the electric grid. Utilities pays for the energy returned to the grid through net metering credits on your monthly utility bill based on the current residential rates.
Note: Residential energy rates and billing changed to a Time-of-Day rate structure October 2018.
Tax Credits for Solar Investments:
* Rebate amounts are based on a $0.50/Watt, 20-year Renewable Energy Credit (REC) purchase.
- Assess your solar potential. Does your roof or installation site have uninterrupted sun from 9 am – 3 pm? Use Google Project Sunroof to analyze your roof shape and local weather patterns.
- Select one or two solar contractors for project estimates
- Select a contractor and sign a contract
- Solar contractor applies for rebates and permits and installs your system
- City of Fort Collins Building Services inspects for electrical code compliance
- Utilities inspects equipment and tests functionality and system is turned on
- Permission to Operate letter is sent to you
- Generate solar power and earn credits!
- Must be a Fort Collins Utilities electric customer
- Systems must be installed by a licensed contractor
- PV system must be sized greater than 500 watts and less than the capacity to provide 120 percent of recent annual energy use.
- Systems must meet Utilities Interconnection Standards (PDF 353KB).
- Equipment must be new and UL listed and named on the eligible equipment list.
- The system cannot be shaded between 9 a.m.-3 p.m. If questionable, the applicant must submit shading analysis (check with your solar contractor).
- Agreement to manage trees and other potential shading sources to prevent shading from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- System orientation must achieve a minimum of 90% of estimated ideal annual output (NREL PV Watts Calculator) for full rebate allowance.
- The system must be installed within six months of rebate reservation letter.
- Customers with homes built before 2005 must obtain an Efficiency Works' Home Audit, or provide documentation of a recent audit by a certified energy auditor within six months of receipt of the rebate reservation letter in order to receive the rebate.
- Provide copies of permits and supporting documents as outlined in the Interconnection and Solar Rebate Application (XLS 500KB). Review and acknowledge Fort Collins Utilities' interconnection and REC policies on page 4 of the application.