Water-Wise Lawn Care#
Half of a home's annual water usage typically goes toward lawn watering. Use less water and maintain a healthy, attractive lawn with the following tips.
- Water only when grass turns a dull, bluish-gray color and footprints remain. After a rain, skip watering until the grass dries.
- Bluegrass lawns generally require 1" - 1.5" of water per week, depending on the weather. Most shrubs and trees require less water than bluegrass, so water them separately. See the recommended watering times on the chart below.
- Water no more than two days a week (three days during extreme heat and dry periods) so the grass develops deeper roots and uses moisture deep in the ground.
- Water between midnight and 6 a.m. when wind and evaporation are minimal.
- In the fall, winterize early to save water and protect equipment from damage due to freezing.
- Find more information in the Water-Wise Lawn Care booklet.
- Learn more about tips for hand-watering lawns and landscaping.
Recommended Watering Times#
- Mow early – mowing when it's cool reduces stress on grass.
- Mow sharp – dull mower blades tear the grass causing it to stress.
- Mow higher – mow bluegrass 2 1/2 " - 3" tall to promote deeper rooting and to shade the plant's root zone. Never cut more than 1/3 of the leaf blade.
- Leave clippings – grass clipping add nutrients to the soil. A mulching mower chops grass into smaller pieces.
Lawn Care Ideas and Resources#
- Aerate your lawn at least once a year.
- Use fertilizer sparingly, since it encourages grass growth that requires more water and mowing. Lightly fertilize bluegrass in the spring and fall. Learn more about Fertilizing your Lawn and Garden.
- Replace some bluegrass with planting beds or water-wise grasses. Many species provide seasonal colors and textures to ensure year-round beauty. Learn more about the Basics of Drip Irrigation.
- Read about water-wise landscaping: Xeriscape Information, Replacing Lawn with Xeriscape, and Turfgrass Species Selection.
- Looking for a contractor? Consider a Utilities Certified Landscape Professional.