Our Journey to World Class
Join us for a Baldrige Sharing Day
Get a taste of Fort Collins’ “secret sauce” with the City’s Baldrige Sharing Day on Thursday, August 9.
City leaders and staff serve up insights and experiences from our Journey to Excellence that achieved the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in 2017.
Expect to get a look at our recipe for success with classroom hands-on learning, and an afternoon that includes sharing best practices.
Plan to begin your day at 8:30 a.m. and end at 5 p.m.
The Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award is the nation’s highest presidential honor for performance excellence through innovation, improvement and visionary leadership. Since 1988, 106 organizations have earned the award named after Malcolm Baldrige, the 26th Secretary of Commerce. Congress created the award in 1987 to enhance the competitiveness and performance of U.S. businesses.
Baldrige helps organizations improve and succeed in the competitive global marketplace. It is the only public-private partnership and Presidential award program dedicated to improving U.S. organizations. In collaboration with the greater Baldrige community, the Baldrige Program offers:
- A systems approach to organizational excellence
- Award-winning leadership development
- Self-assessment tools
- Organizational assessments by teams of trained experts
- Presentations and workshops on how to improve
- Conferences and other events that showcase best management practices
For more information on the Baldrige Program, visit: https://www.nist.gov/baldrige
Why Pursue the Malcolm Baldrige Award?
The City selected the Baldrige framework for its journey to excellence based on:
- Customer/Community Focus: Pursuing excellence starts with the needs, expectations and satisfaction of the customer. For the City, the customers are citizens, businesses and overall community expectations and service.
- The Baldrige Excellence Framework is International Best Practice Criteria: Applicants for the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award -those that have received the award and those that haven't—say the Baldrige evaluation process is one of the best, most cost-effective, most comprehensive performance assessments your organization can find.
- The Feedback Report: The City receives a detailed, individualized, written assessment of the organization's strengths and opportunities based on the Baldrige Award application. The feedback report is compiled by a team of Baldrige Examiners who have extensive training in the Baldrige Excellence Framework, and are experts in their sector/industry .
Performance Excellence: At A Glance
- First BFO Cycle
- Created City vision
- Began using Baldrige Excellence Framework
- Submitted Colorado Performance Excellence - High Plains Award Level 1
- Did not achieve Rocky Mountain Performance Excellence - Foothills Award Level 2
- Worked on key processes
- Achieved Rocky Mountain Performance Excellence - Timberline Award Level 3
- Achieved Rocky Mountain Performance Excellence - Peak Award Level 4 (highest level in the regional program -- qualified the City to apply for the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award)
- Submitted first Baldrige application
- Submitted second Baldrige application
- First Baldridge site visit
- Submitted 3rd Baldrige application
- Second Baldrige site visit
- Received the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award.