Natural Areas Newsletter
Adopt a Natural Area
The Adopt-a-Natural Area Program provides opportunities for you to take an active part in the stewardship of local natural areas. By picking up litter, adopters enhance habitat for wildlife and native plants and increase visitor enjoyment.
Thank You Adopters!
|Natural Area Site||Adopting group or individual|
|Arapaho Bend Natural Area||
|Bobcat Ridge Natural Area||Shannon Price|
|Butterfly Woods Natural Area||Lacey Beck|
|Cathy Fromme Prairie Natural Area||
Craig and Joyce Bryant
|Cattail Chorus Natural Area||Erin Fox|
|Colina Mariposa Natural Area||Holyoke Street Homeowners|
|The Coterie Natural Area||Northern Colorado Prairie Dog Advocates|
|Cottonwood Hollow Natural Area||Charlie Sturgill|
|Coyote Ridge Natural Area||Cub Scout Pack 90|
|Eagle View Natural Area||Les Kuiper|
|Fischer Natural Area||Heath Family|
|Fossil Creek Wetlands Natural Area||Available for adoption|
|Fossil Creek Reservoir Natural Area||Baylee and Mazey Schell|
|Gateway Natural Area||Triangle Fraternity|
|Gustav Swanson Natural Area||Not currently available for adoption|
|Kingfisher Point Natural Area||Available for Adoption|
|Magpie Meander Natural Area||
|Mallard's Nest Natural Area||
|Maxwell Natural Area||Available for adoption|
|McMurry Natural Area||Anna and Evelyn Juhasz|
|North Shields Ponds Natural Area||
Valerie and Tom DiBenedetto
|Pelican Marsh Natural Area||Basith Weerasundara|
|Pineridge Natural Area||Carrie Visintainer, Chris, Jake and Elise Imsland|
|Prospect Ponds Natural Area||
American Society of Civil Engineers
|Red Fox Meadows Natural Area||Available for adoption|
|Redtail Grove Natural Area||
|Redwing Marsh Natural Area||
|Reservoir Ridge Natural Area||Jacqueline Simon|
|Riverbend Ponds Natural Area||Rick Willbanks|
|River's Edge Natural Area||
|Ross Natural Area||Heath Family, Kristine MunLeeuw|
|Running Deer Natural Area||Charlie Sturgill|
|Salyer Natural Area||The Lab School|
|Soapstone Prairie Natural Area (March-November)||Vicky and Brian Carroll|
|Springer Natural Area||Available for adoption|
|Two Creeks Natural Area||John Pape|
|Udall Natural Area||
Harry Rose and Carole Hossan
|Various Natural Areas||Poudre Community Academy visits a different site each month|
|Williams Natural Area||Center for Family Outreach|
We Need Your Help
The City of Fort Collins Natural Areas Department manages thousands of acres of natural areas. By picking up litter, Adopt-a-Natural Area volunteers help enhance natural areas which provide habitat for native plants and animals. Volunteers are a vital component in the Natural Areas Department's stewardship and conservation efforts. We couldn't do it without you! For more detailed information call 970-970-224-6153 or send an ZHdlbmR0QGZjZ292LmNvbQ== to Diane Wendt.
Who Can Adopt a Natural Area?
Anybody interested in helping to keep the natural areas clean such as:
- church groups
- senior citizens groups
- homeowners' associations
- service clubs
- conservation organizations
Adopt-a-Natural Area Responsibilities and Rewards
- One Year Commitment: The adopting organization commits to a one-year period of adoption. The organization may then renew, change, or terminate the agreement.
- Pick Up Litter: The adopting group monitors the natural area for litter and commits to keeping it clean on a regular basis, usually once a month.
- Keep A Record: The adopting organization keeps records of their volunteer hours and coordinates the date and time of visits to the adopted natural area with staff.
- Rewards and Recognition: Natural areas are special places in our community so volunteers feel great knowing that they are contributing to Natural Areas stewardship! Adopting a natural area is a great way to get to know one natural area in-depth. Visitors to your adopted site will appreciate your efforts too because everyone loves a clean natural area! You'll also be invited to our annual volunteer appreciation event which is a fun way to meet other volunteers and staff and be recognized for your service.
For more detailed information, contact Diane Wendt, City of Fort Collins Natural Areas Service Learning Coordinator at 970-224-6153 or by ZHdlbmRAZmNnb3YuY29t.