Cathy Fromme Prairie is a rare example of Fort Collins pre-settlement shortgrass prairie landscape. Drylands and wetlands here provide habitat to a variety of plants and animals. Look for horned lizards, ground-nesting songbirds, butterflies, rabbits, coyotes and rattlesnakes. The raptor observatory, built into the hillside near the Shields Street entrance, is an excellent place from which to watch hawks and eagles, especially in winter.
St. Joeseph's 6th Grade at Cathy Fromme Prairie: by J Hicks
Ready to Strike, Cathy Fromme Prairie by Bob Babbs
Cathy Fromme Prairie: by Ryan Burke
Cathy Fromme Prairie entrance sign
There are parking lots at Shields Street (south of Harmony, approximate address is 5381 South Shields Street, Fort Collins) or Fromme Prairie Way (from Harmony take Seneca south to Fromme Prairie Way, approximate address is 1999 Fromme Prairie Way, Fort Collins). One horse trailer parking spot is designated in the Fromme Prairie Way parking lot. Cathy Fromme Prairie Natural Area has no entrance fee or parking fee.
Events and Activities#
- Find free educational activities and events year-round on the Events Calendar. Activities and events in June-October are also listed in the Natural Areas Explorer.
- Learn about special events and activities each month by subscribing to the Natural Areas e-newsletter.
- Check out the Natural Areas Learning Library for self-guided activities.
- Know before you go safety and recreation information.
- Special people have volunteered to take an active role in the stewardship of natural areas by doing monthly litter pick-ups. You can join the fun and adopt a natural area, too!
- Plant List for Cathy Fromme Prairie Natural Area. Volunteers were critical in making the list possible, thank you!
- Fossil Creek Natural Areas Management Plan 2017, pdf
- Bird Checklist- Courtesy of Fort Collins Audubon Society