The Long View Trail connects Fort Collins and Loveland along Shields Street and provides access to Hazaleus as well as Colina Mariposa Natural Area, Larimer County's Long View Farm Open Space and Loveland's Sunset Vista Natural Area. East/west connecting trails may be built at Hazaleus Natural Area in the future.
At Hazaleus Natural Area you'll see wetlands and native grasslands. Impressive wildlife species have been documented including bald eagles, red-tailed hawks, ferruginous hawks, Swainsons hawks, coyotes and foxes.
Hazaleus extends north from the intersection of Trilby Road and Shields Street on the east side of Shields. The nearest parking is at Cathy Fromme Prairie Natural Area or Front Range Community College.
Events and Activities#
- Free educational activities and events from June-October are listed in the Natural Areas Explorer booklet.
- Last minute activity additions, trail recommendations and events offered between November-May are in our free monthly electronic newsletter- sign up on this page.
- Check out the Natural Areas Learning Library for some great self-guided activities.
- Fossil Creek Natural Areas Management Plan 2017, pdf
- Plant List for Hazaleus Natural Area Volunteers were critical in making the list possible, thank you!