Contact Information Contact Information
Natural Areas Newsletter Natural Areas Newsletter
A beautiful wetland on Fossil Creek, rich with wildlife. The best place to enjoy Fossil Creek Wetlands is from the observational road pull-out on the south side of Trilby Road approximately mile west of Timberline Road. From here you may see some of the over 140 species of birds sighted here including bald eagles and ferruginous hawks. Like its neighbor to the east (Fossil Creek Reservoir Natural Area), Fossil Creek Wetlands Natural Area was designated part of the Fossil Creek Important Bird Area by National Audubon Society.
Access is from the neighborhood on the west side of the site, to a 0.5 mile section of the paved Fossil Creek Trail. There is no trailhead parking.
5:00 a.m. 11:00 p.m.
Fossil Creek Wetlands Natural Area extends from Trilby Road to Carpenter Road, bordering Timberline Road on the east. There is an informal pull-out on the north side of the site (along Trilby Road east of the railroad tracks) where drivers can stop and watch wildlife.
Events and Activities
- Free educational activities and events in June-October are listed in the Natural Areas Explorer booklet guide.
- Would you like monthly activity updates, trail recommendations and more? Sign up for the Natural Areas electronic newsletter on this page.
- Free educational programs at Fossil Creek Wetlands Natural Area are available for groups by request, call the Master Naturalist Program at 970-224-6118 or email YWNobGVibmlrQGZjZ292LmNvbQ==
- Know before you go safety and recreation information.
- Special people have volunteered to take an active role in the stewardship of natural areas by doing monthly litter pick-ups. You can join the fun and adopt a natural area, too!
- Fossil Creek Natural Areas Management Plan 2017
- Bird Checklist Fossil Creek Wetlands- Courtesy of Fort Collins Audubon Society
- Bird Checklist Duck Lake- Courtesy of Fort Collins Audubon Society
- Plant List for Fossil Creek Wetlands Natural Area Volunteers were critical in making the list possible, thank you!