Contact Information Contact Information
Natural Area eNews Natural Area eNews
Nature in the City Grants
Nature in the City helps to fund projects that will bring natural spaces into your neighborhood and community! In 2021 grant funds will be available:
- Dream it Up: Planning Grant applications are now open until 11:59 pm Nov 2, 2020. Funding awards up to $5,000 are available to help transform your inspired ideas into ready to go projects.
- Residential Scale Projects will be offered through a partnership with the City’s Utilities Xeriscape Incentive Program (XIP).
Make it Happen:Implementation Grants will be offered 2022 with the application opening fall/winter 2021.
Need some inspiration? In 2020 Nature in the City awarded $145,000 worth of funding towards 16 implementation projects and 2 planning projects for increasing nature throughout Fort Collins! Check out some of past Nature in the City projects here!
This grant opportunity is thanks to the voter-approved Community Capital Improvement Program. Thank you for your support!
Vision, Goals and Strategic Plan
A connected open space network accessible to the entire community that provides a variety of experiences and functional habitat for people, plants, and wildlife.
Easy Access to Nature: Ensure every resident is within a 10-minute walk to
nature from their home or workplace.
High Quality Natural Spaces: Conserve, create and enhance natural spaces to
provide diverse social and ecological opportunities.
Land Stewardship: Shift the landscape aesthetic to more diverse forms that
support healthy environments for people and wildlife.
Some current partnerships and projects are:
- Participating in the City's Night Sky team.
- Integrating Nature in the City principles into efforts such as the Water Efficiency Plan, Climate Action Plan, and City Plan.
- Community Science Biodiversity monitoring volunteers are learning about urban wildlife and exploring Fort Collins' natural spaces as they conduct scientific surveys for birds and butterflies. Learn more.
More About Nature in the City
Nature in the City is the next evolution of conservation in Fort Collins. As Fort Collins grows in population, it is more important than ever to ensure that nature remains a defining attribute of the city. Through innovative partnerships, policies, and projects, the Nature in the City program strives to expand easy access to nature and create habitat hubs for people and wildlife.