Nature in the City helps to fund projects that will bring natural spaces into your neighborhood and community!
Applications for 2024 grant funds are available this fall, from September 1 to October 20.
What to Plant?
The City of Fort Collins Recommended Plant List is here! This unique database includes hundreds of plants native to Fort Collins and Colorado.
Landscaping Resources to Help Make it Happen!
The City of Fort Collins has many resources available to help you save money on your native habitat or water-wise landscaping!
2022 Annual Report
Explore the annual report to find out how the community and volunteers helped make 2022 another fantastic year!
The Nature in the City program started as an idea in the Planning Services Division of the City as City Planners wondered how they could better integrate nature into development projects. These ideas evolved over the years to the eventual City Council adoption of the Nature in the City Strategic Plan in 2015.
Nature in the City works with myriad partners to implement innovative and creative projects. Locations for Nature in the City projects may include City Parks, Stormwater Utility sites, open spaces in your neighborhood, community gardens, and more. While not every site will provide every experience, Nature in the City will ensure that residents have access to a variety of natural experiences close to where they live and work.
Vision, Goals, and Strategic Plan#
A connected open space network accessible to the entire community that provides a variety of experiences and functional habitats for people, plants, and wildlife.
- CONNECTIVITY across high-quality natural spaces through enhancement of urban lands that provide diverse social and ecological opportunities.
- ACCESS to nature by ensuring every resident can easily experience nature where they live, work, and play.
- STEWARDSHIP of the naturalized landscape by demonstrating that a shift in our community landscape can support healthy environments for people and wildlife.
Partnerships to Reach Goals#
Some current partnerships that help reach Nature in the City Goals:
- Participating in the City's Night Sky team.
- Integrating Nature in the City principles into efforts such as the Water Efficiency Plan, Climate Action Plan, and City Plan.
- Community Science Biodiversity monitoring volunteers are learning about urban wildlife and exploring Fort Collins' natural spaces as they conduct scientific surveys for birds and butterflies. Learn more.
Nature in the City Photos#