Nature in the City Grants#
Nature in the City helps to fund projects that will bring natural spaces into your neighborhood and community. Applications for 2023 funds are currently being evaluated. If you'd like to learn more about our grant program, go to the "Apply" page.
Residential Scale Projects will continue to be offered through the partnership with the City’s Utilities Xeriscape Incentive Program(XIP).
Need some inspiration? In 2022 Nature in the City awarded nearly $290,000 worth of funding towards 15 implementation projects that have already increased nature throughout Fort Collins!
Thank you for your support!
What to Plant?#
Looking for plants that support local wildlife and pollinators, are waterwise, and regionally appropriate? City of Fort Collins Recommended Plant List is here! This list is unique to Fort Collins and includes hundreds of plants native to Fort Collins and Colorado. This new resource can serve as a guide in the creation of sustainable and ecologically diverse landscapes and may just help you decide what else to plant in your garden.
2021 Annual Report#
Despite the ongoing challenges and uncertainty 2021 brought, the Fort Collins community continued to collaborate and steward nature throughout the city. The Nature in the City 2021 Annual Report highlights key accomplishments from the year. Explore the report to find out how the community and volunteers helped make 2021 another fantastic year!
Vision, Goals and Strategic Plan#
A connected open space network accessible to the entire community that provides a variety of experiences and functional habitat for people, plants, and wildlife.
- CONNECTIVITY across high quality natural spaces through enhancement of urban lands that provide diverse social and ecological opportunities.
- ACCESS to nature by ensuring every resident can easily experience nature where they live, work, and play.
- STEWARDSHIP of the naturalized landscape by demonstrating that a shift in our community landscape can support healthy environments for people and wildlife.
Partnerships to Reach Goals#
Some current partnerships that help reach Nature in the City Goals:
- Participating in the City's Night Sky team.
- Integrating Nature in the City principles into efforts such as the Water Efficiency Plan, Climate Action Plan, and City Plan.
- Community Science Biodiversity monitoring volunteers are learning about urban wildlife and exploring Fort Collins' natural spaces as they conduct scientific surveys for birds and butterflies. Learn more.