Visit Magpie Meander and you'll discover a wooded area with a small stream and pond. Its location adjacent to Soft Gold Park makes Magpie Meander ideal for a family picnic and easy nature exploration. There is an accessible fishing pier too. A natural surface trail connects to McMurry Natural Area and the Poudre Trail.
When you visit Magpie Meander look for its namesake the magpie, as well as great blue herons, red-tailed hawks, and downy woodpeckers. You might also see rabbits, squirrels, foxes, and mule deer, as well as painted turtles and plains garter snakes. What a lively place!
Magpie Meander K Manderbach
Magpie Meander 2 K Manderbach
Black-billed magpie fws
Parking available at Soft Gold Park (520 Hickory Street). Trail access from McMurry Natural Area and the Poudre Trail. Magpie Meander Natural Area has no entrance fee.
Activities and Events#
- Find free educational activities and events year-round on the Events Calendar. Activities and events in June-October are also listed in the Natural Areas Explorer.
- Learn about special events and activities each month by subscribing to the Natural Areas e-newsletter.
- Check out the Natural Areas Learning Library for self-guided activities.
- Bird Checklist- Courtesy of Fort Collins Audubon Society
- Know before you go safety and recreation information.
- Special people have volunteered to take an active role in the stewardship of natural areas by doing monthly litter pick-ups. You can join the fun and adopt a natural area, too!
- Poudre River Management Plan
- Magpie Meander Natural Area is an Important Bird Area, learn more here.