Contact Information Contact Information
Natural Areas Newsletter Natural Areas Newsletter
Visit Magpie Meander and you'll discover a wooded area with a small stream and pond. Its location adjacent to Soft Gold Park makes Magpie Meander ideal for a family picnic and easy nature exploration. There is an accessible fishing pier too. A natural surface trail connects to McMurry Natural Area and the Poudre Trail.
When you visit Magpie Meander look for its namesake the magpie, as well as great blue herons, red-tailed hawks, and downy woodpeckers. You might also see rabbits, squirrels, foxes, and mule deer, as well as painted turtles and plains garter snakes. What a lively place!
0.16 miles natural surface with connection to McMurry Natural Area. Trail map >>>
5:00 a.m. 11:00 p.m.
Park at Soft Gold Park (520 Hickory Street), or there is trail access from McMurry Natural Area and the Poudre Trail.
Activities and Events
- Free educational activities and events in June-October are listed in the Natural Areas Explorer booklet guide.
- Last minute activity additions, trail recommendations and events offered between November-May are in our free monthly electronic newsletter- sign up on this page.
- Bird Checklist- Courtesy of Fort Collins Audubon Society
- Free educational programs at Magpie Meander Natural Area are available for groups by request, call the Master Naturalist Program at 970-224-6118 or email YWNobGVibmlrQGZjZ292LmNvbQ== .
- Know before you go safety and recreation information.
- Special people have volunteered to take an active role in the stewardship of natural areas by doing monthly litter pick-ups. You can join the fun and adopt a natural area, too!
- Poudre River Management Plan
- Magpie Meander Natural Area is an Important Bird Area, learn more here.