Your Account Your Account
Start or Stop Utility Service Start or Stop Utility Service
Contact Us Contact Us
Replace high-bay, high-intensity discharge (HID) lighting with LED lights.
Preventing Stormwater Pollution
Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Permit
The City’s storm drainage system serves a dual purpose: to prevent property flooding by directing stormwater into local creeks and the Cache la Poudre River and to protect these water bodies from pollutants commonly present in an urban environment.
According to the EPA, stormwater pollution is the number one source of water pollution in the country. To minimize pollutants transported by stormwater runoff into the storm sewer system and downstream receiving waters, the City implements programs in accordance with its Colorado Discharge Permit System MS4 Permit. TVM0cGVybWl0QGZjZ292LmNvbQ==
Report Emergency Spills or Illegal Dumping By Calling 911
Emergency spills include hazardous materials, large volumes of contaminants or contaminants that are potentially life-threatening or harmful to the environment. It also includes spills or illegal dumping directly into a storm drain, creek or river.
For other spills or illegal dumping, report online at Access Fort Collins or call 970-221-6700.
- Public education and outreach on stormwater quality and pollution prevention
- Construction site erosion and sediment control
- Design standards and ongoing maintenance requirements for permanent water quality control measures
- Pollution prevention and good housekeeping for municipal operations
- This internal program focuses on municipal facilities and activities and is designed to help prevent pollutants from entering the storm drainage system.
- Illicit discharge detection and elimination
- The City responds to reports of spills and illegal dumping that may enter the storm drainage system and threaten the health of our streams. Information on how to report a spill can be found at the top of this page.