Skip to main content

Household Hazardouse Waste Collection FAQs#

Where can I take my HHW items if I can't make it to these events? 
The Larimer County Landfill accepts most HHWs for free year-round, and the City's Timberline Recycling Center accepts antifreeze, household batteries, motor/cooking oils and paints for free year-round (though no other HHWs). 

Visit for local disposal options for non-accepted items and other non-HHW household items.

How long will I have to wait?
It fluctuates, though, most participants are in and out in less than 10 minutes. The time it takes also varies depending on the amount you are turning in. 

What kind of batteries do you take?
We accept most household batteries, including:

  • car
  • hearing aid
  • Ni-Cd
  • NiMH
  • Pb acid
  • 9-volt

Will you take smoke/carbon monoxide detectors?

What other products are included in the paints and pesticides category?
We accept oil-based, latex and enamel paints, used and unused solvents, stains, primers, sealers and spray paints. The City's TRC also accepts these items for free year-round, if you cannot make this event.

We also accept yard and garden chemicals and fertilizers. 

Can I bring my fluorescent tube lights as well as the spiral bulbs?
Yes, we accept 4’ and 8’ tubes in addition to the spiral bulbs. We also accept light ballasts.

What automotive products/fluids are included?
We accept virtually all automotive fluids, including:

  • antifreeze
  • bad gas
  • gas/oil mixes
  • gear oil
  • hydraulic oil
  • power-steering fluid
  • used oil
  • windshield washer fluid

Will you empty my oil/gas container?
Yes, however, you will have to wait longer. We recommend that you bring it in something you can leave.

Do you take aspirin or other over-the-counter medicine and supplements?
Yes, we take all over-the-counter medications and supplements. However, you will need to take your prescription medication and other pharmaceuticals to Fort Collins Police Services. Visit for more information. 

What are personal care products? 
Shampoos, lotions and similar items. We also take fingernail polish/remover, makeup, etc.

What are mercury-containing items?
Thermostats, appliance switches, thermometers, button-shaped batteries, etc.

Do you accept pool/spa chemicals?

Do you accept fire extinguishers?
Yes. The City's TRC also accepts fire extinguishers year-round for $5, if you cannot make this event.

Do you accept under-the-counter cleaners & bleaches?

Did You Know?

You can enroll your electric water heater in Peak Partners and automatically shift when your water is heated.

It is recommended that you aerate your lawn once a year.

Pre-heating your home before 5 p.m. in the winter and coasting through the on-peak hours can save money on your utility bill.