Your Account Your Account
Start or Stop Utility Service Start or Stop Utility Service
Contact Us Contact Us
Replace incandescent exit signs with LED exit signs.
Water Meter Division
Hours: Weekdays, 7 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
After-hour emergencies: 970-221-6700
Fort Collins Utilities owns and maintains the water meters and modules associated with commercial and residential properties.
When maintenance is required on an indoor meter, Utilities will schedule an appointment with the current customer. No appointments are needed when the meter or module is located outside.
The following maintenance tasks ensure the accurate and reliable measurement of water consumption:
- Preventative maintenance - Annual meter exchanges based on age or total consumption of the meter or the battery life of the module.
- Corrective maintenance – Repair or replace meters or modules that have been damaged or are not working properly.
- New Construction – Inspect the meter setting installed by the builder, install the meter, wire and module.
- Maintaining the water meter, the reading module and the wire connecting the meter and module
- Testing meters for accuracy
- Replacing meters as needed
- Discontinue water service if access to meter is denied or obstructed
Property owner’s responsibilities:
- Keep meters, modules, meter pits and the curb stop free and clear of obstructions
- Allow access for reading, maintenance and repair
- Protect from damage and freezing
- Protect the meter setting device, valves and meter pits
Any alterations of the existing meter setting must be approved and inspected by the utility.
Water Meter Installations for New Construction
Water meters must be installed before a Certificate of Occupancy can be issued.
All irrigation services and domestic services sized 1.5-inch and larger must be metered before the service can be used.
Fire lines are not metered.
The builder is required to provide, install and arrange inspection of the water meter setting prior to the installation of the meter. Utilities is responsible for installing the meter and communication device, as well as inspecting the setting.
- Water Meter Detail Specification Drawings
Detail 11 (PDF 51KB) - Typical Water Service
Detail 14 (PDF 60KB) - Standard Interior Setting for 3/4 and 1" Water Meters
Detail 15 (PDF 72KB) - Standard Exterior Setting for 3/4 and 1" Water Meters
Detail 16-A (PDF 89KB) - Standard Setting for 1 1/2" and 2" Water Meters - Side View
Detail 16-B (PDF 42KB) - Standard Setting for 1 1/2" and 2" Water Meters - Top View
Detail 17-A (PDF 65KB) - Standard Setting for 3" and 4" - Top View
Detail 17-B (PDF 109KB) - Standard Setting for 3" and 4" - Side View
Detail 17-C (PDF 73KB) - Standard Setting for 3" and 4" - End View
For inquiries regarding billing, high water use, conservation and temporary fire hydrant meters, call 970-212-2900.