College Avenue Waterline#
Fort Collins Utilities replaced a 1930s 4-inch cast iron waterline in College Avenue from Mulberry to Buckeye streets (one block south of Pitkin Street) with 8-inch polyvinyl chloride (PVC) pipe.
Replacement of the 80-year old waterline enhanced water system reliability and improved fire protection in the area. The project occurred in advance of the Highway 287 (College Avenue) Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) paving project in 2015.
- Trenchless technologies were used to minimize overall construction and traffic impacts.
- 6,000 feet of new pipe was installed.
- New fire hydrants will increase fire protection for the area.
- Cross streets affected by the construction included Myrtle, Laurel, Garfield, Edwards, Pitkin and Buckeye Streets.
- The project finished on time and within budget.
Did You Know?
You can save water by installing WaterSense showerheads.
Turning off lights and appliances when not in use saves energy
Algal blooms appear in waterbodies under certain environmental conditions. Mid-summer through early fall is when they most commonly occur.