Your Account Your Account
Start or Stop Utility Service Start or Stop Utility Service
Contact Us Contact Us
Turn off overhead and task lights when not in use.
When landscaping around fire hydrants, Fort Collins Utilities and Poudre Fire Authority require:
- 3 feet of clearance around hydrants so fire crews can locate hydrants quickly and connect fire hoses
- 15 feet of clearance above hydrants for maintenance
- 18 inches of vertical clearance from the hydrant's base to the center of the large cap so crews can connect fire hoses quickly and/or conduct maintenance
- Never paint a fire hydrant
- Keep plants and landscaping to a minimum near hydrants
Examples of good landscaping around hydrants.
Can you find the hydrants in the photos below? It might take you a minute.
If the fire department cannot find the hydrant quickly enough, it will take them longer to locate a viable water source in case of an emergency.
Note: If needed, City of Fort Collins Utilities and Poudre Fire Authority crews have the right to cut back landscaping to work in the area.