Your Account Your Account
Start or Stop Utility Service Start or Stop Utility Service
Contact Us Contact Us
Purchase efficient ENERGY STAR® appliances when replacing old ones (rebates available).
When landscaping around fire hydrants, Fort Collins Utilities and Poudre Fire Authority require:
- 3 feet of clearance around hydrants so fire crews can locate hydrants quickly and connect fire hoses
- 15 feet of clearance above hydrants for maintenance
- 18 inches of vertical clearance from the hydrant's base to the center of the large cap so crews can connect fire hoses quickly and/or conduct maintenance
- Never paint a fire hydrant
- Keep plants and landscaping to a minimum near hydrants
Examples of good landscaping around hydrants.
Can you find the hydrants in the photos below? It might take you a minute.
If the fire department cannot find the hydrant quickly enough, it will take them longer to locate a viable water source in case of an emergency.
Note: If needed, City of Fort Collins Utilities and Poudre Fire Authority crews have the right to cut back landscaping to work in the area.