Toilet leaks are the most common type of leak found inside the home. Because this type of leak can be silent, it may go unnoticed. Perform a toilet dye test:
- Lift the tank cover.
- Place a few drops of food coloring (or a dye tablet) into the tank.
- Wait 15 minutes without flushing.
- If color appears in the bowl, you have a leak.
If you have a leak, check:
- Overflow tube: water should be a half-inch below the top of the tube.
- Lift chain: it should not catch on anything.
- Flapper: ensure it is seating properly.
- Flush handle: make sure it functions correctly.
Did You Know?
Turning off the faucet while shaving or brushing teeth saves water.
Lowering the water-heater temperature to the lowest comfortable setting saves money.
You can receive a rebate for purchasing a rain sensor.