In 2021, a typical residential customer, based on average annual use, could expect to see an increase of approximately $3/month.
- Electric: 2.6% increase based on cost-of-service model updates (varies by rate class).
- Water: 2% increase to help with fire-related water quality impacts and watershed health costs.
- Wastewater: No rate increase.
- Stormwater: No rate increase.
Single-Family Monthly Bill Comparison#
Utility 2020 2021 $ Change % Change Electric $78.52 $80.56 $2.04 2.6% Water $48.07 $49.03 $0.96 2% Wastewater $34.24 $34.24 $0 0% Stormwater $16.04 $16.04 $0 0% Total Average Bill $176.87 $179.87 $3 1.7%
Rates pay for construction and maintenance of Fort Collins' stormwater system, which helps protect residents and businesses during storms and floods. All developed properties within city limits pay stormwater rates, which are based on:
- Lot Size - lot area in square feet, plus the customer's share of open space in the development, if applicable
- Base Rate - $0.00453
- Rate Factor - based on the percentage of impervious area (surfaces that do not absorb water) such as buildings, parking lots and concrete
Formula for Estimated Monthly Rates:
Single-family Lots Under 12,000 Square Feet
Monthly Rate = $0.00453 x runoff factor x square feet up to 12,000
Single-family Lots Over 12,000 Square Feet*
Monthly Rate = $0.00113 x runoff factor x square feet > 12,000
*These lots receive a reduction in fees on that portion of the lot greater than 12,000 feet.
Duplex and Multi-Family Lots
Monthly Rate = $0.00453 x runoff factor x area in square feet.
Prices effective January 2020.