Fort Collins Utilities’ Affordability Programs and Resources during COVID-19
Posted on: Jul-07-2020
To support customers during COVID-19, Fort Collins Utilities has not turned off utility services due to non-payment since March. As life slowly gets back to a new normal, utility operations, including disconnections, will resume. Utilities’ Affordability Programs offer many resources and are ready to assist customers with utility costs.
Customers who need more time to pay their utility bill are asked to call 970-212-2900 to set up a payment arrangement and avoid late fees.
If customers need help paying their utility bills, financial assistance is available, and many programs have been expanded due to COVID-19. Customers who are past due on their utility bills can receive bill payment assistance up to twice this program year (Oct. 1, 2019–Sept. 30, 2020), not exceeding $1,500 total. For more information, call one of our partner agencies that distribute funds on our behalf:
- Catholic Charities – Larimer County 970-484-5010
- La Familia/The Family Center 970-221-1615
For longer-term assistance, several options are available for qualified customers:
- Colorado’s Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) has extended the deadline for applications to July 31 (or until funds run out) and the assistance provided through LEAP has been expanded. Even if you did not qualify for LEAP a few months ago, if your situation has changed due to COVID-19, you may reapply to see if you now qualify. Details: Colorado.gov/CDHS/LEAP or 866-432-8435.
- Income-Qualified Assistance Program (IQAP) provides reduced utility rates for Utilities customers who receive LEAP. Details: fcgov.com/IQAP or 970-212-2900.
- Medical Assistance Program is for Utilities customers with medically necessary electric equipment. Details: fcgov.com/MAP or 970-212-2900.
Visit fcgov.com/utilities-affordability for more information.
Lisa Schroers, Affordability Program Specialist