Adopt a Natural Area
The Adopt-a-Natural Area Program provides opportunities for you to take an active part in the stewardship of local natural areas. By picking up litter, adopters enhance habitat for wildlife and native plants and increase visitor enjoyment.
Thank You Adopters!
WE NEED YOUR HELP
The City of Fort Collins Natural Areas Department manages thousands of acres of natural areas. By picking up litter, Adopt-a-Natural Area volunteers help enhance natural areas which provide habitat for native plants and animals. Volunteers are a vital component in the Natural Areas Department's stewardship and conservation efforts. We couldn't do it without you! For more detailed information call 970-416-2480 or send an to Susan Schafer.
Who Can Adopt a Natural Area?
Anybody interested in helping to keep the natural areas clean such as:
- church groups
- senior citizens groups
- homeowners' associations
- service clubs
- conservation organizations
Adopt-a-Natural Area Responsibilities and Rewards
- ONE YEAR COMMITMENT: The adopting organization commits to a one-year period of adoption. The organization may then renew, change, or terminate the agreement.
- PICK UP LITTER: The adopting group monitors the natural area for litter and commits to keeping it clean on a regular basis, usually once a month.
- KEEP A RECORD: The adopting organization keeps records of their volunteer hours and coordinates the date and time of visits to the adopted natural area with staff.
- REWARDS and RECOGNITION: Natural areas are special places in our community so volunteers feel great knowing that they are contributing to Natural Areas stewardship! Adopting a natural area is a great way to get to know one natural area in-depth. Visitors to your adopted site will appreciate your efforts too because everyone loves a clean natural area! You'll also be invited to our annual volunteer appreciation event which is a fun way to meet other volunteers and staff and be recognized for your service.
For more detailed information, contact Susan Schafer, City of Fort Collins Natural Areas Education and Volunteer Coordinator at 970-416-2480 or by .