Who are the employees at the City of Fort Collins? What is it like to work for the organization? The "World Class People Project" gives some insight into who we are at the City of Fort Collins.
Our organization is full of world class people with world class commitment. Providing service is more than just a job, it's a source of pride and City of Fort Collins employees do it better than most.
Each year "World Class People" recognizes City workers for their outstanding service, their teamwork, their individuality, and their creativity. It's a chance to show the community who we are, not just what we do. Our organization is fortunate to have employees who take pride in their work, who care about this community and see their job as a way to contribute to what makes Fort Collins great. It puts a human face on City government.
When past Honorees were asked what they liked most about working for the City, most cited the people they worked with and the opportunity to make a difference in their community:
- "I truly love the people I work with and appreciate being able to work with them everyday. I also really like being able to have a positive impact on at least one person in our community every day. I just really like being able to help people work through a problem and find a resolution!" ~ 2008 Honoree Beth Sowder, Neighborhood and Building Services
- "I really enjoy the variety in my position. You never know what is coming around the corner, but I must say that the best thing about my job is the folks I work with. I have always said that if you surround yourself with good people then good things will happen. Good things happen every day in the Parks Department and it all starts with the employees. I am proud to be associated with them." ~ 2008 Honoree Mike Calhoun, Parks
- "I love working for an organization that has the ability to directly impact the community that I live in." ~ 2009 Honoree Suzanne Jarboe-Simpson, Management Information Services
- "It's the willingness of the City as a whole – organizationally and communitywide – to continually question and debate choices for our future that makes this community great. I love being a part of it." ~ 2010 Honoree Timothy Wilder, Advance Planning
The City of Fort Collins' vision states that, "we are passionate about creating a vibrant, world-class community". We believe our dedicated employees have contributed to recognition for our community:
- Gold Level Certification: Solar Friendly Communities - Apr 2013
- 2012 Tree City USA: The Arbor Day Foundation - Apr 2013
- 4th Healthiest Mid-Size City in U.S.: 2012 Gallup-Healthways Survey - Feb 2013
- 2012 Project Award Winner, Re-construction of the SH 392 & I-25 Interchange: American Public Works Association, Colorado Chapter - Jan 2013
- 2012 Top Downtown in the Country: Livability.com - Nov 2012
- Ranked 3rd on Allstate America's Best Drivers Report: AllState - Sep 2012
- One of the Ten Best Vacation Cities for Beer Lovers: Yahoo! Travel.com - Jul 2012
- Ranked 3rd in the nation on Best Places to Do Business list: Forbes.com - Jun 2012
- Ranked 11th on America's Top 50 Bike-Friendly Cities: Bicycle Magazine - May 2012
- Fort Collins-Loveland, Third Skinniest Metro Area on the Well-Being Index: Gallup and Healthways - Mar 2012
- Fort Collins-Loveland Municipal Airport, winner of two "Best in Colorado" awards: Colorado Asphalt Pavement Association - Mar 2012
- One of the Top 10 Best Places to Retire: CBS Money Watch - Feb 2012