Horsetooth and College Intersection Improvement Project
Sign Up For Updates
- Improve safety and reduce congestion
- Improve facilities for bicyclists and pedestrians
- Update landscaping and urban design
In 2011, the Engineering Department completed an Arterial Intersection Prioritization Study which listed the Horsetooth Road and College Avenue intersection as a top ranked location for needed safety and operational improvements. Existing problems identified include heavy congestion during peak traffic periods and high number of northbound and southbound left turn crashes.
The Engineering Department has completed the design of the intersection and has contracted with Myers and Sons Construction Company to perform the construction of the project.
Current renderings of the final design and exhibits are posted on this page detailing the improvements to be made, which include:
- fully rebuilding the existing intersection with concrete pavement
- adding dual left turn lanes in all directions
- adding right turn lanes with pedestrian refuge islands on College Avenue
- fully replace the bridge on Horsetooth Road over Larimer Canal No. 2
- widening the College Avenue bridge over Larimer Canal No. 2
- updating landscaping and urban design
- installing new medians and a new signal system
The project will begin construction May 29, 2018 just after Memorial Day; see below for a more detailed schedule.
The City applied for and was awarded two federal grants for the design and construction of the project. Additional funds were appropriated as part of the 2017-2018 City Budgeting for Outcomes (BFO) process.
- Preliminary Design: June 2017 – November 2017
- Final Design: December 2017 – May 2018
- Right-of-Way Acquisition: January 2018 – June 2018
- Construction timeline:
- Construction start: May 29
- East Horsetooth Road closed College to Mitchell: June 18-July 16
- West Horsetooth Road closed College to Mason: July 16-Sept. 9
- Construction complete: early November
We encourage people to be involved in aspects of the project that they are interested in. For more information please contact the project manager and sign up for the project newsletter.
City of Fort Collins