The City of Fort Collins uses a collaborative approach to the management of marijuana which brings together multiple City departments to develop and enforce regulations and educate businesses, consumers, and the general public. The information provided here is intended to be an overview of marijuana laws in Fort Collins. It is up to each individual to understand and follow the law. Nothing in the information provided here is intended to offer medical advice about the health and safety risks of marijuana consumption or to provide legal advice on compliance with applicable laws. The City of Fort Collins provides links to information about marijuana business licensing, and other important topics.
Latest Updates-COVID-19: Click this link for updates.
PLEASE NOTE: The City of Fort Collins has NOT yet taken a position on marijuana delivery permits (HB 19-1234) and marijuana hospitality licenses (HB19-1230), so local permits/licenses for those types of businesses are NOT being granted at this time.
Information and input are still being gathered so Fort Collins City Council can decide how to proceed in 2021.
Residents are always welcome to contact City Council at email@example.com with suggestions.
If a State of Colorado Marijuana Hospitality Business License or Marijuana Delivery Permit is obtained, Fort Collins businesses cannot exercise the privileges granted by the State in the absence of a corresponding local license/permit.
If you have questions about City of Fort Collins marijuana licensing, please contact:
The City of Fort Collins has adopted regulations prohibiting THC extractions with flammable materials by anyone other than a licensed marijuana business.
Apply for a New Marijuana Business License#
The City of Fort Collins is currently accepting applications for new medical and retail business licenses:
- Retail marijuana cultivation facility (only if also licensed as retail marijuana store or retail marijuana products manufacturer)
- Retail marijuana products manufacturer
- Retail marijuana testing facility
- Retail marijuana business operator license
- Medical marijuana products manufacturer license (MIP)
- Medical marijuana cultivation facility supplying marijuana to licensed store or medical MIP (under the same ownership) anywhere in Colorado
- Medical marijuana testing facility
- Marijuana research & development facility
- medical marijuana business operator license
The City of Fort Collins is NOT accepting applications for:
- Medical marijuana stores
- Retail marijuana stores (except licensed medical marijuana stores in Fort Collins-transfers of ownership)
- Prohibit medical and retail off-premises storage permits
- Prohibit medical and retail transport licenses
Medical Marijuana: During the November 2012 election, Fort Collins voters passed Initiative 301 allowing medical marijuana centers in Fort Collins. Initiative 301 placed a cap on the number of medical marijuana stores in Fort Collins but allowed any businesses previously licensed in Fort Collins to exceed the cap. Applications were accepted from previous business owners from January 2 to April 2, 2013. Because the number of previous businesses applying for center licenses exceeded the cap, no additional applications for medical marijuana stores are being accepted. View the Medical Marijuana page for more information.
Retail Marijuana: Also in November 2012, voters state-wide passed Amendment 64 allowing the recreational use of marijuana and establishing a framework for retail businesses. On March 18, 2014, Council adopted a series of ordinances relating to retail marijuana, including licensing provisions for retail marijuana stores, cultivation facilities, product manufacturing facilities, and testing facilities. View the Retail Marijuana page for more information.
Growing Marijuana For Personal Use#
In Fort Collins, persons may grow their own marijuana for medical or recreational uses, subject to the following limitations:
- Marijuana cannot be grown (cultivated) openly or publicly.
- Marijuana cannot be grown in detached outbuildings (sheds, greenhouses, etc.)
- In no event can more than 12 plants of any size, or 6 mature plants, be grown or kept within, or on the same legal parcel as, any single-family dwelling.
- Marijuana cannot be grown in a two-family (ex. a duplex), multi-family (ex. apartment building), or single-family attached dwelling (ex. a townhome sharing a common wall with another unit).
- All marijuana must be grown and kept in a locked and enclosed space.
- The marijuana cannot be sold.
See Chapter 12, Article IX of the City Code for all of the local regulations relating to the cultivation of marijuana for personal use.
Complaints / Compliments#
Complaints regarding licensed marijuana businesses, cultivation of marijuana in commercial or residential areas, marijuana odors coming from licensed businesses, or any other marijuana-related issues may be submitted in writing using the fillable pdf form below or directed to Officer Jim Lenderts at firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-416-2949.
Compliments regarding licensed marijuana businesses may be submitted in the same form. Compliments will be included in the licensee's file and shared with the licensee.
- Provide any legal advice, including whether or not a business model may or may not work in Fort Collins. Please read the state and local laws and consult your own attorney.
- Make recommendations regarding the purchase of marijuana from particular businesses.
- Direct you to owners that may be interested in selling their business(es).