In Fort Collins, there are limitations on who may apply for retail marijuana licenses as follows:
- Only existing medical marijuana businesses (stores) in Fort Collins may apply for retail marijuana store licenses.
- The only persons who can apply for a retail marijuana cultivation license are those that have a retail marijuana store license or a retail marijuana products manufacturing license in Fort Collins (not elsewhere in Colorado).
- Anyone may apply for a retail marijuana products manufacturing license and may have an associated cultivation facility to supply the manufacturing facility.
- Anyone may apply for a retail marijuana testing facility license.
Active/Approved Retail Marijuana Licenses#
- Retail Marijuana Stores: 10
- Retail Marijuana Cultivations: 13
- Retail Marijuana Products Manufacturing Facilities: 5
- Retail Marijuana Testing Facilities: 0
- Retail Marijuana Business Operators:0
Pursuant to State Law, all applicants for a retail marijuana license must first apply to the State Marijuana Enforcement Division (MED). The MED will forward a copy of the application along with one-half of the application fee to the City of Fort Collins. Upon receipt, the City will review the application materials and contact the applicant to request additional materials as needed. In Fort Collins, the only new retail marijuana license applications being accepted (from someone other than a person already licensed as a medical marijuana store) are for marijuana products manufacturing facilities and cultivation facilities to supply marijuana to the products manufacturing facility.
Please refer to the application forms page for the local application checklists and application information to start this process.
- Provide any legal advice, including whether or not a business model may or may not work in Fort Collins. Please read the state and local laws and consult your own attorney.
- Make recommendations regarding the purchase of marijuana from particular businesses.
- Direct you to owners that may be interested in selling their business(es).