Winter Bike to Work (or Wherever) Day is coming!#
Winter Bike to Work (or Wherever) Day is on the way.
Fort Collins has typically hosted WBT(W)D in December, but we've taken the opportunity to align our event with the International Winter Bike to Work Day on February 11, 2022.
This coming February, trade four wheels for two and go car-free for WBT(W)D. It may be cold, it may be snowy, but it's still possible to ride a bike year-round in Fort Collins. WBT(W)D will help you try it out, and hopefully convince you that any season is bicycling season. We'll help keep you warm with hot food and plenty of coffee (and more) provided for free to bicyclists, walkers, skaters, and scooters.
Winter Bike to Work (or Wherever) Day will be held from 7:00 to 9:30 a.m. on Friday, February 11, 2022, the same day that cities around the globe take to bikes to get to work, or wherever. Free breakfast will be available for community members riding a bike, and people scooting, rolling, and walking will also be invited to partake in free breakfast. Breakfast stations will be located all around Fort Collins. We'll publish our official map of stations as we close in on the event, so check back often for new information.
Schedule of Events#
Winter Bike to Work (or Wherever) Day: Friday, February 11, 2022.
Free breakfast for bicyclists: 7:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. all around Fort Collins. We'll publish an official map of breakfast stations in coming weeks.
What to Expect#
Here's what you can expect when participating in Bike to Work (or Wherever) Day event.
- Free breakfast: if you show up to any Bike to Work (or Wherever) Day breakfast station, you can expect to find free breakfast (while supplies last). Each station does breakfast differently and while there is no standard approach, you can expect a variety of foods and beverages.
- Comradery: Fort Collins' trails and bikeways are frequently full of bikes on Bike to Work (or Wherever) Days. You can expect lots of smiles, waves, high fives, and connections to other folks who value bicycling as a way of life in Fort Collins.
To follow the rules: while Bike to Work (or Wherever) Days are all about fun, please do mind all traffic rules and laws. Plus, go the extra mile to be courteous to fellow participants. For a refresher on laws, rules, and etiquette when riding, visit our Rules of the Road page. A few common pointers include:
- Mind dismount zones in Old Town and CSU.
- Use an audible signal before passing anyone on a trail or street.
- Always pass to the left of others.
- Slow your roll, especially on trails. All Fort Collins trails include a courtesy speed limit of 15 miles per hour.
- Signal your intentions, including turns and stops.
- People who have never ridden and people who ride all the time: Bike to Work (or Wherever) Days are for everyone! There will never be a prerequisite to have experience riding a bike regularly to participate. In fact, we hope Bike to Work (or Wherever) Days are a way to get new regular riders. If you know the ropes, be patient with new cyclists. If you're new, ask questions or contact us if you need clarification. We're always here to help.
- Plan for the weather: our summer event can be mild in the morning, but temperatures often peak in the afternoon. Bring water, sunscreen and maybe a change of clothes to stay cool and comfortable. In the winter, there may be icy or snowy conditions and temperatures may be low. Visit our Bike Winter page for tips on preparing for our winter event.
- You may find a new way to get around: After participating in a Bike to Work (or Wherever) Day event, you may decide that riding a bike is easier, more efficient, and just plain more fun than driving.
- You don't need to be going to work: Expect to participate even if work isn't your destination! You can be riding anywhere, even for fun, to participate and score free breakfast during Bike to Work (or Wherever) Days.
- To be counted: in exchange for free breakfast, we'll ask you to take a brief survey. Each station will have information about the survey, and we'll post it to our Bike to Work Day page. You'll also be counted at each station you stop at. This is to help us estimate participation and plan better next next time. Plan to help us!
Bike to Work (or Wherever) Day 2022#
Every June, Colorado celebrates Bike Month and here in Fort Collins, we love anything that highlights and promotes people who ride bicycles. In 2022, we're back on track with Bike to Work (or Wherever) Day, planned for Wednesday, June 22, 2022.
What is Bike to Work (or Wherever) Day? Some have described it as "Fort Collins' best holiday". Others love the celebration of people who ride bicycles. Some hosts want to contribute to our Platinum-designated bicycle culture and community. During BT(W)D, community members are encouraged to travel by bike wherever they're headed, be it work, errands, to drop kids to daycare, or just for fun. Participants who ditch the car in favor of a bicycle can find free breakfast located all around Fort Collins. Some participants try to hit as many stations as possible. Others are happy to find a scenic spot to comingle with a few other folks. The point is to get on your bike wherever you're headed that morning!
Check back periodically for the most up to date information, including our Call for Station Hosts and Station Host Resources, public health guidance, and more.
Internal Celebrations Toolkit#
Maybe hosting a Bike to Work (or Wherever) Day breakfast station just isn't in the cards for your organization this year. Budgets may have been impacted, or there may still be concerns about how safe it is to interact in-person.
Check out our Celebration Toolkit for ideas of how you can modify you Bike to Work (or Wherever) Day celebrations and tailor them for a more intimate engagement for just neighbors or employee-only celebrations. We want our community to have several options to get back to community engagement at their own pace.
Resources to Get You Riding#
Whether you're riding for exercise, to the grocery store, library, neighborhood park, or just getting some fresh air in our beautiful city, get out there and ride! If the trails become crowded, consider using one of many low-stress on-street bikeways. Learn more about on-street bikeways here.
If you're interested in riding more, but have questions or concerns, let us help you. Check out our online resources or email us to help you choose routes, tips for safe and legal cycling, clothing ideas, or how to efficiently use your bike for multiple errands.
For families, we also have online resources from our Safe Routes to School program available here. We have resources for all school ages, including elementary, middle school, and high school aged youth.
Check out our Shift Your Ride webpage for even more information on mobility options beyond the automobile!
May-September: National Bike Challenge#
From May through September, Love to Ride is hosting the 2020 edition of the National Bike Challenge. Bicycling is a great form of exercise and transportation. Sign up now and spread the word! The National Bike Challenge is a great place to track you mileage, start some friendly competition between friends, neighbors, and colleagues, plus you have a chance to win prizes.
Participating is easy! Visit Love to Ride's National Bike Challenge website, sign up and provide some basic details on where you live or work. Once your profile is set up, look to connect with colleagues by creating a Workplace Team, or simply see how your mileage stacks up against other Fort Collins community members or how Colorado is fairing against other states.