See Fort Collins By Bicycle!
Bicycling is a great way to get to know Fort Collins. With relatively flat terrain, 280+ miles of wide bike lanes, and 30+ miles of multi-use trails, bicycling is a fun, healthy, and environmentally-friendly way to see all that Fort Collins has to offer. Check out the bike map to help you with the orientation of Fort Collins.
Fort Collins Bike Share is a great opportunity for visitors, students, and residents looking to explore the City of Fort Collins. We offer a variety of self guided tours from the "Bike the Sites" collection, including a Brewery Tour, Environmental Learning Tour, and the Historic Tour.
Fort Collins and the surrounding vicinity offers hundreds of miles of incredible road biking. From flat prairie and country roads, to several steep canyons west of the City, Fort Collins offers world class road riding. See map!
If it's mountain biking you are after, we have miles upon miles of great mountain biking minutes from downtown. Visit the City of Fort Collins Natural Areas for information on riding the foothills trails or check out the trails and pump track at Lory State Park, or Horsetooth Mountain Park for prime mountain biking action. Also, the City's Spring Canyon Park offers a challenging mountain bike skills course and you can find a fast BMX course at Edora Park.
Fort Collins Bicycling Organizations
Fort Collins is home to many bicycling organizations. Check out these websites for more information:
FC Bikes is the City of Fort Collins bicycling program. Through infrastructure planning, educational programs, encouragement events, and work with other City departments and local organizations, FC Bikes aims to improve conditions for bicyclists and increase the number of trips made by bicycle in our community. The 2014 Bicycle Master Plan outlines a vision for bicycling in Fort Collins. Low-stress bikeways and wayfinding are becoming a staple in bicycling infrastructure. Bike to Work Days (fourth Wednesday in June and second Wednesday in December) and Open Streets events are popular to Fort Collins bicycling culture, coordinated by FC Bikes. Our adult education programs can help anyone learn to ride, navigate the city legally and safely by bike, and more. The Bicycle Friendly Driver Program is gaining national attention by teaching motorists to safely drive in the presence of bicyclists. Contact us to learn more about our program.
Bike Fort Collins
The mission of the Bike Fort Collins program is "To foster a bicycle-friendly culture and transportation system in Fort Collins through education and encouragement." Bike Fort Collins works to instill bicycling as a viable form of transportation and recreation for citizens of Fort Collins. Their projects include and are not limited to, the FC Bike Library, the Safe Routes to School Program, and the Vintage Bicycle Museum Without Walls. To learn more about this organization visit: www.bikefortcollins.org
CSU Cycling Club
CSU Rams Cycling is a club sport and is open to all students. Whether you have raced before or not the Rams Cycling Club is happy to get you on your bike an rolling. Their goal is to get more students on their bikes, so if you don't want to race you can meet them for their group rides. To learn more about the team, group rides, and meeting times check out www.ramscycling.com
Bicycle motocross (BMX) is one of the fastest growing youth sport in North America and one of the newest additions to the Olympics. BMX offers every rider the ability to participate at his or her own pace...No one sits on the bench! There are no coaches deciding who gets to play, everyone gets into the action. To learn more, check out www.epicbmxfc.com
Fort Collins Bicycle Co-op
We are Building Community Through Bicycling. Run by volunteers, the bike co-op focuses on keeping our community riding, including those who can't afford to buy or maintain a bike. The Bike Co-op refurbishes hundreds of bikes each year which are returned to the community through their Earn-a-Bike program. To find out more about the Bike Co-op, their programs, and volunteering, visit www.fcbikecoop.org
Fort Collins Cycling Club
FCCC represents cyclists of all kinds in Fort Collins. The club is made up of more than 150 riders that include recreation riders, commuters, and racers. During the Fall and Winter the club meet every third Thursday at Mulligan's Pub, at 2439 S. College Ave. in Fort Collins for a presentation of interest to cyclists. They also have group rides, socials, and events. Junior, Individual, Family, and Senior membership information is available on their website: www.fccycleclub.org.
Fort Collins Velodrome Association
The Fort Collins Velodrome Association has been working endlessly to bring a velodrome to downtown Fort Collins. A velodrome is an indoor or outdoor banked oval track used for bike racing for cyclists of all ages and abilities. Apart from providing extracurricular bicycling activities, a downtown velodrome could attract large competition events to Fort Collins as well, provide exciting spectator opportunities for Fort Collins residents.
Overland Mountain Bike Club
Overland Mountain Bike Club promotes the active, healthy sport of mountain biking by providing education and assistance to all trail users, and by working to build and maintain quality, sustainable trails that enhance the mountain biking experience. Overland hosts an array of fun events, group rides, and volunteer events throughout the year. In conjunction with their service organization, Diamond Peaks Mountain Bike Patrol, Overland works to ensure that mountain bikers continue to have a home along the northern Front Range. For more information, please visit: www.overlandmtb.org
Also known as Babes on Bikes, team B.O.B. has been promoting women mountain bikers since 1992. The group offers group rides for novice and experiences riders as well as skill seminars. The team also does trail maintenance and cycling related community events. Once daylight saving begins the team meets every Tuesday at 5:30pm at Soderberg parking area in Horestooth Mountain Park. To learn more about team B.O.B visit www.coteambob.com.
Local Bicycle Manufacturers:
- Big Shot Bikes - 151 Oak St #125 Fort Collins CO 80521 | (970) 775-1233
- Black Sheep - 204 N. Link Lane, #5, Fort Collins, CO 80524 | (970) 218-5952
- Boo Bicycles - 1750 Laporte Avenue, Fort Collins, CO 80521 |(970) 444-2228
- Cycle Tote Bicycle Trailers - 517 N Link Ln Fort Collins CO 80524 | (970) 482-2401
- Meetsauce - Fort Collins CO | (970) 581-6692
- Orlando Baker Designs - Fort Collins CO
- Moonmen Bikes - 1304 Duff Drive, Unit 12, Fort Collins, CO 80524 | (970) 222-4807
- Niner Bikes - 1611 S College Ave Unit 202, Fort Collins, CO 80525 |(877) NINER-XC
- Panda Bicycles - Fort Collins CO | (970) 372-2123
- RideKick International - Fort Collins CO | (877) 974-4440
- RunAbout Cycles - 1304 Duff Drive, Unit 12 Fort Collins, CO 80524 | (970) 493-4541
- Yendra Built - Fort Collins CO | (970) 430-6505
- Yipsan Bicycles - Fort Collins CO | (970) 672-0168
Local Bike Shops:
- Bike Recyclery- Vintage & Used Online Bike Shop - 401 S. Shields St. (Appt. only) | (314) 814-0999
- Brave New Wheel - 105 E Myrtle St Fort Collins CO 80524 | (970) 416-0417
- Drake Cyclery - 2100 W Drake Rd Ste 4, Fort Collins CO 80526 | (970) 631-8326
- Fort Collins Bike Co-op - 331 N College Ave Fort Collins CO 80524 | (970) 484-3804
- Peloton Cycles-North - 230 S College Ave Fort Collins CO 80524 | (970) 484-1800
- Lee's - North Store - 202 W Laurel St Fort Collins CO 80521 | (970) 482-6006
- Lee's - South Store - 931 E Harmony Rd Fort Collins CO 80525 | (970) 226-6006
- Peloton Cycles - 3027 E Harmony Rd Fort Collins CO 80528 | (970) 449-5595
- Performance Bicycle - 2407 S College Ave Fort Collins CO 80525 | (970) 419-2770
- Phoenix Cyclery - 1532 E Mulberry St, Suite D. Fort Collins CO 80524 | (970) 493-4517
- proVelo Bicycles - 4612 S Mason St Suite 110, Fort Collins, CO 80525 | (970) 204-9935
- Recycled Cycles - CSU Store - Lory Student Center Fort Collins CO 80525 | (970) 491-9555
- Recycled Cycles - South Store - 4031-A S Mason St Fort Collins CO 80525 | (970) 223-1969
- REI - 4025 S College Ave Fort Collins CO 80525 | (970) 223-0123
- Road 34 - 1213 W Elizabeth St Fort Collins CO 80521 | (970) 221-3434
- Rocky Mountain Recumbent Bicycles - 2111-G S College Ave Fort Collins CO 80525 | (970) 221-4838
- Lawson Cycles - 120 W Stuart St Unit B Fort Collins CO 80525 | (970) 368-5529
Colorado Bicycling Manual
- Introduction (PDF 621KB)
- Rules of the Road (PDF 812KB)
- Rules for Shared Use Paths (PDF 121KB)
- Riding for Different Reasons (PDF 613KB)
- Equipment and Accessories (PDF 388KB)
- A Guide to Bicycle Parking (PDF 65KB)
- Theft Prevention (PDF 141KB)
- Crash Information (PDF 67KB)
- Children (PDF 627KB)
- Everyone is a Pedestrian (PDF 128KB)
- Glossary of Terms (PDF 35KB)
- Colorado Statutes Referencing Bicycling (PDF 39KB)
- Resource Directory (PDF 38KB)
- Thank You (acknowledgements) (PDF 5KB)