Doing Business in Fort Collins#
The Fort Collins Economic Health Office is here to help you navigate through all local resources that are available to your business.
Starting a business in Fort Collins?#
New Business Roadmap
This roadmap will walk you through everything you need to know about starting a business in Fort Collins from selecting a location to sales tax, utilities and more.
Guía Para Nuevos Negocios
Este documento le guiará a través de todo lo que necesita saber acerca de iniciar un negocio en Fort Collins, desde la selección de una ubicación hasta impuestos sobre las ventas, servicios y más.
Business Resource Guide
Connect to free & low-cost business consultation, marketing strategy planning, access to capital, market research, City programs & incentives, joining a local business association and more.
- Business Licenses - Sales Tax
- Development Review Center
- Utilities - Commercial
- Starting a Business in Colorado
Area Partner Resources:
- Downtown Development Authority
- Downtown Fort Collins Creative District
- Fort Collins Area Chamber of Commerce
- Larimer Small Business Development Center
- Metro Denver Economic Development Corporation
- Poudre River Public Library Business Center
- Social & Advisory Group for Entrepreneurs (SAGE)
- SCORE (Service Corps of Retired Executives)
- Visit Fort Collins
- Work in Northern Colorado
Any portion of a residential property, including a home phone, computer, mailing address, etc., used in deriving income or sales, will require the resident to obtain a Home Occupation license. Visit the Building department for more information.
Child care and other day care providers are exempt from home occupation licensing and requirements except for signage restrictions.
Home occupations include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Art/craft making
- Seamstress services
- Professional offices (real estate/insurance/medical)
- Multi-level marketing
- Vending services
- Service businesses (contracting/janitorial)
- Instruction (music)
- Wholesale/catalogue sales
- Personal service (beauty/barber) shops
- The renting of rooms for residential purposes
Not included under Home Occupation License
The following cannot be considered home occupation businesses.
- Group homes
- Health care facilities (Nursing homes)
- Tourist homes (Bed and Breakfast facilities)
- Animal hospitals
These uses are restricted to particular zoning districts.
- Home Occupation License Applications can be downloaded, obtained at the Building Inspections/Zoning office at 281 North College Avenue or at the Sales Tax office at 215 North Mason, Fort Collins, CO. Or contact them at (970) 221-6760. The license fee is $25 and is renewable every two years. Code requirements regulating home occupation businesses are located in Article 3, Section 3.8.3 of the Land Use Code of Fort Collins.
- Sales and use tax license application
In addition to Zoning requirements, prohibition of or limitations to home occupation businesses may be regulated by subdivision, condominium, or similar covenants. Please check what COVENANTS might exist in your neighborhood by contacting your homeowner's association or the Larimer County Clerk and Recording office at (970) 498-7860.
Questions about which licenses/permits you need to operate?
Our Business Licenses & Permits FAQs will help guide you through required licenses and permits to operate your business based on industry type.