Contact Information Contact Information
COVID-19 Business Update COVID-19 Business Update
Doing Business in Fort Collins
Need business support or help navigating the City organization? The City is committed to a health economy that is vibrant, resilient and integrated with the community's social and environmental fabric.
How can we help? We collaborate. We convene. We are a funding agency. We can help build relationships.
The Economic Health Office exists to connect your business with:
- Business retention/expansion expertise
- Partner organizations
- Redevelopment assistance
- Targeted industry clusters
- Business Licenses - Sales Tax
- Business Welcome Kit
- Development Review Center
- Utilities - Commercial
- Starting a Business in Colorado
Area Partner Resources:
- Downtown Development Authority
- Fort Collins Area Chamber of Commerce
- Larimer Small Business Development Center
- Metro Denver Economic Development Corporation
- Poudre River Public Library Business Center
- Social & Advisory Group for Entrepreneurs (SAGE)
- SCORE (Service Corps of Retired Executives)
- Visit Fort Collins
- Work in Northern Colorado
Any portion of a residential property, including a home phone, computer, mailing address, etc., used in deriving income or sales, will require the resident to obtain a Home Occupation license. Visit the Building department for more information.
Child care and other day care providers are exempt from home occupation licensing and requirements except for signage restrictions.
Home occupations include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Art/craft making
- Seamstress services
- Professional offices (real estate/insurance/medical)
- Multi-level marketing
- Vending services
- Service businesses (contracting/janitorial)
- Instruction (music)
- Wholesale/catalogue sales
- Personal service (beauty/barber) shops
- The renting of rooms for residential purposes
Not included under Home Occupation License
The following cannot be considered home occupation businesses.
- Group homes
- Health care facilities (Nursing homes)
- Tourist homes (Bed and Breakfast facilities)
- Animal hospitals
These uses are restricted to particular zoning districts.
- Home Occupation License Applications can be downloaded, obtained at the Building Inspections/Zoning office at 281 North College Avenue or at the Sales Tax office at 215 North Mason, Fort Collins, CO. Or contact them at (970) 221-6760. The license fee is $25 and is renewable every two years. Code requirements regulating home occupation businesses are located in Article 3, Section 3.8.3 of the Land Use Code of Fort Collins.
- Sales and use tax license application
In addition to Zoning requirements, prohibition of or limitations to home occupation businesses may be regulated by subdivision, condominium, or similar covenants. Please check what COVENANTS might exist in your neighborhood by contacting your homeowner's association or the Larimer County Clerk and Recording office at (970) 498-7860.