Short-Term Rental (STR) Licensing
The City of Fort Collins requires dwelling units that rent for less than 30-days to be licensed. The City recognizes both primary short-term rentals (STRs) and non-primary STRs.
Primary Short-Term Rentals
Primary STRs are occupied by the property owner for at least 9 months of the year and have a portion of the dwelling unit rented for less than 30 days. This may include duplexes or carriage houses if located on the same property that is used as the primary residence.
Non-Primary Short-Term Rentals
Non-primary STRs are dwelling units that are NOT occupied by the owner where the owner rents the entire house for less than 30 days.
- Licenses are $150 and are non-refundable and non-transferrable. Annual renewal is $100.
- License must be posted in the STR property.
- License number must be included in all advertising.
- Optional: For accessibility fee waiver complete and submit the following: View Accessibility Checklist
Short-Term Rental Zoning Map
Short-term rental zoning map
STRs are only allowed in green (primary STR) or yellow (non-primary STR) areas on the map.
Applying For A Short-Term Rental License
Applicant will be required to provide:
- Name, email, and phone number of licensee
- Name, phone number, and email of local contact (if different than above or if license is not in a person's name) Contact must be able to respond within 4 hours of request.
- Proof of insurance
- Proof of primary residence (if applying for primary STR license)
- Voter registration
- Car Registration
- Driver's License
- Assessor information
- A description of the area to be rented (ex. back bedroom and bath, downstairs portion of house, etc.)