Short-Term Rental (STR) Licensing
Guide to Starting a STR
Download the "Guide for Operating a Short-Term Rental (STR) in the City of Fort Collins" to learn the basics, view FAQs, requirements including links to applications, and steps to applying.
Short-Term Rental Zoning Map
Short-term rental zoning map
There are two types of STRs, Primary and Non-Primary. The map indicates where these types are allowed. The green areas indicate only Primary STRs and the yellow areas indicate both Primary and Non-Primary STRs. The zones with no color indicate where STRs are prohibited.
Am I in a zone that allows STRs?
Applying For A Short-Term Rental License
- Business name (LLC not required, first and last name are ok to use)
- Proof of Ownership
- Proof of Personal Liability Insurance Coverage
- For Primary STRs – Proof of Residence
- STR application (this is an online application)
- Self-Inspection Checklist
- Sales and Lodging Tax License Application (these are online applications)
- $150 non-refundable application fee (payable online via e-check or credit card)
- Mailing Address of owner and STR property address
- Local Contact Information (must be able to assist at property if needed within 4 hours of a call)
- Number of bedrooms
- Description of rentable space
- Number of off-street parking spaces
- Ensure there are no expired building permits on property
- Ensure your HOA covenants allow STRs