The Environmental Services Department, part of the Sustainability Services Area, supports our community’s values and adopted policy goals by offering programs and services that improve indoor and outdoor air quality, implement climate action planning and reporting, increase recycling and waste diversion, coordinate municipal sustainability activities, undertake environmental data management, and participate in strategic municipal and community efforts.
Commitment to climate action, planning and reporting.
Waste Reduction & Recycling
Strategies to increase recycling and waste diversion.
Programs and services that improve indoor and outdoor air quality.
Stay Safe in the Heat!
This summer, have a plan to stay safe in the heat!
- Wear lightweight, loose-fitting clothing
- Cut down on outdoor exercise
- Wear sunscreen and a hat outdoors
- Keep the shades drawn in your home
- If you work outdoors, take frequent shade and hydration breaks
- Don't leave children or pets in cars, even for a minute
- Avoid hot and heavy meals
- Visit a Recreation center or public pool to stay cool in air conditioning or water
- Drink plenty of water
- Stay away from sugary and alcoholic drinks
- Replace salts and minerals by drinking sports/electrolyte drinks
- Keep your pets in the shade and with access to water
- Check your local news for extreme heat forecasts
- Learn the signs and symptoms of heat-related illnesses
- Monitor those at risk, such as children, the elderly, people with chronic illnesses, and those living alone
Municipal Sustainability - Leading By Example
A Sustainability perspective is being introduced and incorporated into the City’s internal operations. The Municipal Sustainability initiative also engages with educational, academic, library, community, and business groups to increase the coordination of programs available to the community in areas of sustainability curriculum development, organizing community gardens in low-income and multicultural neighborhoods, educational outreach to children, community footprint challenges and more.