Contact Information Contact Information
Natural Areas Newsletter Natural Areas Newsletter
Interested in cleaning up your local Natural Areas?
The Natural Areas Department currently works with volunteers in two different ways to perform trash cleanups:
- Individuals or groups can join us on Monthly Trash Pick Ups to various Natural Areas around town - May to October - registration required, sign up at engage.fcgov.com.
- Community members can pick up trash on their own by following the guidelines below.
Trash Pick Up Safety & FAQs
- What areas can I make the biggest impact with my trash cleanup?
Here are the top five Natural Areas that generally accumulate trash throughout the year:
Shields St River Access (over to North Shields Ponds)
Fortunately, our local natural areas do not have a lot of trash. You can also make a big impact in areas such as your place of business, a local school or neighborhood. Please get permission before entering these areas.
Please note: The City of Fort Collins contracts with a private firm to perform trash cleanups along the Poudre River between Lemay Ave and College Ave. These areas are off limits for volunteer trash cleanups.
- What should I bring to a trash cleanup?
Wear sturdy garden gloves.
Wear thick-soled, closed-toe shoes.
Wear a hat and sunglasses.
Wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts to avoid contact with poison ivy.
Wear safety vests at all times (for youth groups and cleanups near roads).
Wear sunscreen and bug repellant.
Bring a reusable water bottle and a light snack. Be sure to dispose of your trash properly.
- Where do I leave my trash bags?
Do your best to recycle - damaged or wet recyclable materials must go in the trash bin.
Tie your bag and leave next to the nearest trail head trash bin.
If you come across large items - report in Access Fort Collins.
To help the City keep track of the type of trash you are finding - we encourage you do download the Litterati app to document your findings.
- What do I do if I come across unsafe items during my trash cleanup?
If you are with a City staff member or Volunteer Crew Leader - tell them immediately.
If you are not - please report to Access Fort Collins.
Other Resources -
Natural Areas Ranger: (970) 416-2147
Park Ranger: (970) 566-1112
Police Non-Emergency line: (970) 419-3273
- Things to know before you go!
Find Out More about Trash Pick Ups on Natural Areas