Natural Areas Facilities and Reservations#
Gateway Natural Area Shelters and Turf Area#
Gateway Natural Area is only 15 miles from Fort Collins in the Cache La Poudre Canyon. You'll find hiking trails, a designated launch area for kayaks and canoes, fishing, picnic tables with grills, and informational kiosks. Two picnic shelters are available on a first-come, first-served basis; we no longer accept reservations. Groups over 15 people need a permit. The parking fee at Gateway is $8, annual passes are available.
Natural Areas Exhibit at Fort Collins Museum of Discovery#
It includes check a shortgrass prairie diorama with live endangered black-footed ferrets, an interactive map, and video stories from local citizens about why they love natural areas. You can play with the ripple tank, pick up a map, get a brochure, or enjoy the comfortable couch with an outdoor view.
Fort Collins Museum of Discovery is open Tuesday-Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Visit a real life shortgrass prairie such as Cathy Fromme Prairie Natural Area, or Soapstone Prairie Natural Area.
- Meet the ferrets that live in the Natural Areas exhibit in a 3 minute video
- See the live webcam of the ferrets at the Fort Collins Museum of Discovery.
- US Fish and Wildlife Service's endangered black-footed ferret recovery program
- History of black-footed ferret conservation in a 12-minute video