The Big Jump Project: Northwest Fort Collins
Fort Collins was one of 10 cities in the nation selected to participate in PeopleForBikes’ (PFB) Big Jump Project with the goal of getting more people on bikes. Through this three-year initiative, we will work with community organizations, leaders and residents to implement a comprehensive bicycle program in Northwest Fort Collins with the goal of increasing bicycle ridership and safety by completing a low-stress bicycle network, connecting people to where they want to go, and through a comprehensive neighborhood engagement program.
Are you ready to take the Big Jump? Here’s how:
- Take our brief survey to help us understand barriers to bicycling and plan bicycle activities in your neighborhood. By taking the survey, you’ll be eligible for great prizes to be awarded in late-October.
- Interested in riding a bicycle more often but would like additional support? We’ll hand-deliver a packet of bike resources or set up a time for you to chat with a Bicycle Ambassador. Fill out our Big Jump survey or contact us: YmljeWNsaW5nQGZjZ292LmNvbQ==, 970-221-6987
- Ride your bike more often this fall, share your story with us here and we’ll enter you into the prize drawing (twice if you also filled out the Big Jump Survey!).
- Join us at any of the events, rides and classes listed below!
2017 Focus Areas and Upcoming Events:
- Engaging the community through bicycle-focused events, classes and rides:
- Open Streets: September 17, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m., Pitkin Bikeway from Overland to Shields
- FC Rides: Family-friendly bike rides Sept. 8, Sept. 22, Oct. 13, Oct. 27
- Winter Bike to Work Day: Dec. 13
- Learn to Ride: Tuesdays, Sept. 5-26
- Smart Cycling: Road Rules: Sept. 20, Oct. 19
- Smart Cycling: Road Skills - Sept. 23, Oct. 21
- Bicycle Friendly Driver: Sept. 13, Oct. 12, Nov. 3
- Walk & Wheel Skills Hub Drop-in Sessions: Sept. 7, Oct. 5
- Cycling in Winter: Nov. 7
- Baseline data collection through surveys and bicycle counts
- Developing partnerships with community organizations and connecting with other grant projects underway in Northwest Fort Collins
- Completing key connections along the city’s bicycle network, including:
- Pitkin Bikeway (target completion late-June)
- Shields restriping project with new bike lanes (target completion mid – June)
- Maple-to-Maple enhanced bicycle and pedestrian crossing(target completion mid – June)
- Shields & Elizabeth underpass (CSU)
- Public engagement and design for 2018/2019 proposed low-stress bikeway projects, including:
- Magnolia and N. Shields crossing
- Hampshire bikeway corridor
- Protected bike lane pilot project (location TBD)
- Stuart and Taft Hill crossing
- Developing and implementing a neighborhood bicycle ambassador program
Tessa Greegor, FC Bikes Program Manager, dGdyZWVnb3JAZmNnb3YuY29t, 970-416-2471
Jamie Gaskill-Fox, FC Bikes Program Specialist, amdhc2tpbGwtZm94QGZjZ292LmNvbQ==, 970-221-6987