Skip to main content

Neighborhood Services

 Contact Information

 Neighborhood Services E-newsletter

Code Compliance

Jump to: Common Violations | Enforcing The Codes | Solution Procedures (Abatement Actions)

Honor Roll

honor roll

This home has an orderly yard.

Needs Improvement


Rubbish, storage, and junk...oh my!

Questions or requests?

Access Fort Collins

Access Fort Collins is an easy way to send your questions, service requests and comments directly to staff. You may also call our hotline at 970-416-2200.

What is Code Compliance?

This refers to how we enforce the City codes and ordinances affecting the quality of life in our neighborhoods. As a city, we want all of our citizens to be able to live happily in their homes, whether as a renter or an owner. Each one of these codes and ordinances have been established to assist in sustaining the high quality of life we appreciate in Fort Collins. We strongly suggest you take time to read each one, understand the consequences, and know how to report a violation.

Common Violations

Although Neighborhood Services enforces many neighborhood codes, some violations are handled by other City departments and in one case by a non-profit organization. The list below explains our most common violations and if another agency/department is involved, you'll see their contact info.

Animal Control is enforced by Larimer Humane Society, 970-226-3647
Abandoned or Inoperable Motor Vehicles More info
Construction Noise More info
Dirt Yards and Dilapidated Fences More info
Graffiti Hotline is monitored by the City's Graffiti Abatement Team, 970-416-2400
Housing Standards are enforced by the City's Building Services, 970-416-2740
Noise Complaints are enforced by the City of Fort Collins Police Services. Please call the non-emergency dispatch at 970-221-6540 ext. 2.
Occupancy Ordinance and Enforcement - for more info, visit
Outdoor Storage/Rubbish More info
Parking in Neighborhoods More info
Public Nuisance Ordinance (PNO) for Multiple Violations More info
Tobacco Smoke - visit
Trash Disposal More info
Yard Maintenance More info
Unshoveled Sidewalks More info

Enforcing the Codes

Typical Enforcement Timeframe for Most Violations
Days 1-2 Inspection is performed, letter sent
Day 8 Re-inspection is performed
Days 9-12 If needed, work performed by contractor and/or ticket issued to property owner and/or tenant
Inoperable Vehicle Timeframe
Day 1-2 Inspection is performed, letter sent
Day 31 Re-inspection is performed
Day 32 If needed, ticket issued to property owner and/or tenant
Unshoveled Sidewalks
24 hours after snow accumulates Inspectors patrol neighborhoods. Courtesy warning (note on door) for first-time offenders.
48+ Hours Snow removal is contracted and property owner is billed.

Our policies and procedures were developed to encourage compliance. This is achieved both proactively and through complaints from citizens.

Proactive Enforcement
Each day, we inspect neighborhoods throughout Fort Collins in an attempt to catch any violations before someone needs to complain. There are 4 Code Compliance Inspectors responsible for different areas of Fort Collins. These inspectors drive through the neighborhoods, normally Monday through Friday, observing and noting any City Code violations.

When a complaint is received, that area's Code Compliance Inspector is dispatched and will conduct an inspection within one business day of the complaint.

When There is a Violation
Upon finding a violation, a letter is sent to the property owner and a courtesy copy may be sent to the tenants and/or a property management company informing them of the violation and giving a date by which the violation must be corrected. After the correction due date, the Code Compliance Inspector will revisit the property. If the violation is corrected, the case is closed. If the violation is not yet corrected, the City will resolve the problem with an abatement action.

Solution Procedures (Abatement Action)

When a Violation is Not Corrected

After written notice, if a subsequent inspection continues to bear witness to violation of the Code, that violation will be abated (a contractor is hired to correct the problem [i.e. remove the snow and ice, mow down the weeds, remove the trash, etc.] and the property owner will be billed, or assessed, for the work, along with associated inspection fees) by the City. If you feel the solution (abatement) was done in error or if a property owner wishes to contest, challenge, or seek adjustment to an assessment invoice, there are two options available through the City: (1) A formal hearing before the Referee or (2) an administrative review by city staff. There is no fee for either option. Once the Referee or Staff enters a decision, the property owners will be notified of that decision. You should be prepared to pay the full amount of the assessment (if any) including fees and costs at the time of the decision. Unpaid assessments, including fees and costs, will be turned over to a collection agency and/or a lien may be filed against the property.


Request for a Referee Hearing

Request for Administrative Review

Assessment and Abatement Review Policies and Procedures

Complete the applicable form and return to Neighborhood Services. You have several options to get it to us, please visit our contact page.

Municipal Court

In some cases, a summons to Municipal Court is issued to the property owner and/or a tenant. The Fort Collins Municipal Court is responsible for administering the operations of the judicial branch of City government according to the ordinances adopted by City Council. Cases adjudicated in Municipal Court include misdemeanors and traffic violations. Generally, cases are brought to Municipal Court by Fort Collins Police Services, Colorado State University Police, Larimer Humane Society, City Attorney and other City departments. The fine schedule is set and periodically updated by the Municipal Judge. For municipal violations, the maximum penalty is $2,750 and/or 6 months in jail. For the current fine schedule and contact information, visit Municipal Court.