Natural Areas Stewardship Volunteer Opportunities
Natural areas are yours to treasure today, and for the future. You can help manage and restore land to its native state as a stewardship volunteer.
Monthly Stewardship Projects
Individuals, families and small groups can participate in community stewardship volunteer projects offered approximately monthly, May-October. These actitivites are announced in Enews (subscribe on this page) and registration is through Engage. Often projects are offered in conjunction with these special dates:
- Earth Day- April 22 (celebrated April 21 in 2018)
- National Volunteer Week- The third week in April
- Colorado Public Lands Day- The third Saturday in May
- National Trails Day- The first Saturday in June
- Native Plant Gardening Days- Once a month in June, July, August
- National Public Lands Day- A Saturday in late September
- Make a Difference Week- The third week in October
Volunteer to take an active role in the stewardship of natural areas by doing monthly litter pick-ups. Anyone can volunteer to adopt a natural area including individuals, businesses, families, homeowners' associations, etc. Check here to see which natural areas are available.
- One year commitment- after a year you may renew, change, or terminate the agreement.
- Pick up litter on a regular basis, usually once a month.
- Keep a record- track your volunteer hours.
- Rewards and Recognition- Volunteers feel great knowing that they are stewards! Visitors and wildlife alike will appreciate your efforts- we all love a clean natural area! You'll also be invited to the Natural Areas annual volunteer appreciation event which is a fun way to meet other volunteers and staff and be recognized for your service.
Ready to get started? Complete the volunteer application. NOTE: To apply, you must first create a free account in Engage (name, email, phone is all that is required).
Questions? Contact Diane Wendt, Service Learning Coordinator ZHdlbmR0QGZjZ292LmNvbQ==, 970-224-6153.
Request a Project for Your Group
Stewardship volunteer projects are great for team-building, networking, and camaraderie. Projects in this section are for larger groups.
- Login or create an account in Engage. It is easy and free! Need assistance? Call us at 970-416-2815 or email bmF0dXJhbGFyZWFzQGZjZ292LmNvbQ== .
- Complete the Group Stewardship Project Request form.
- Staff from the City of Fort Collins Natural Areas Department will contact you soon. Your request is not confirmed until you are contacted by a staff person.
Keep in mind:
- Service projects are dependent on the needs of the natural areas.
- Six weeks notice is preferred. A minimum of two weeks notice is required.
- A "group" has a minimum of eight (8) volunteers.
- Due to high demand, two activities per group per year are permitted.
More Volunteer Opportunities
Check out the Citywide Volunteer Opportunities Directory for more ideas of how to get involved.
Enews is a great way to learn about upcoming volunteer opportunities, year-round! Subscribe on this page.
Contact for Stewardship Volunteer Opportunities
Diane Wendt, Natural Areas Service Learning Coordinator
970-224-6153 (office) 970-456-3685 (cell)