A former gravel mine, Topminnow is being restored with the help of hundreds of volunteers, thank you! About 10,000 wetland shrubs were planted in the summer of 2015. The name of the natural area refers to one of the native fish species that will be reintroduced there (plains topminnow). State endangered northern redbelly dace will also inhabit the pond. A grant from Colorado Parks and Wildlife's Wetland for Wildlife is supporting restoration work.
Not yet open to the public because restoration is underway. A short trail to an overlook is tentatively planned.
Topminnow is on East Horsetooth Road, between Strauss Cabin Rd and Ziegler, on the south side of the road. There is no public access at this time.
Events and Activities#
- Free educational activities and events in June-October are listed in the Natural Areas Explorer booklet guide.
- Last minute activity additions, trail recommendations and events offered between November-May are in our free monthly electronic newsletter- sign up in the upper right-hand corner of this page.
- Check out the Natural Areas Learning Library for some great self-guided activities.
- Special people have volunteered to take an active role in the stewardship of natural areas by doing monthly litter pick-ups. You can join the fun and adopt a natural area, too!
- Bird Checklist- Courtesy of Fort Collins Audubon Society