Red-tailed hawks love it, and you will too. This site connects the Mason Street Trail to Fossil Creek Trail with an underpass under U.S. Hwy 287/College Ave for safe travel.
In addition to recreational enjoyment on the trail, this natural area provides visual relief for those traveling on U.S. Hwy. 287 south of Harmony Road.
Eighty one species of birds have been seen here including its namesake, red-tailed hawks (which have nested here), ferruginous hawks, northern saw-whet owls, and yellow-bellied sapsuckers.
Trails and Directions
A short section (0.2 mile) of the Mason Street Trail/Fossil Creek Trail. The nearest parking is at Mason Street park and ride (west end of Fairway Lane).
5:00 a.m. 11:00 p.m.
Activities and Events
- Free educational activities and events in June-October are listed in Tracks & Trails booklet guide.
- Last minute activity additions, trail recommendations and events offered between November-May are in our free monthly electronic newsletter- sign up on this page.
- Free educational programs at Redtail Grove Natural Area are available for groups by request, call the Master Naturalist Program at 970-224-6118 or email YWNobGVibmlrQGZjZ292LmNvbQ==
- Know before you go safety and recreation information.
- Fossil Creek Natural Areas Management Plan 2017, pdf