Prairie Dog Meadow includes the headwaters of Stone Creek (a tributary of Fossil Creek). About 70 species of birds and 10 species of mammals have been documented at Prairie Dog Meadow Natural Area.
The Sentinel by Steve Nelson
Recreation is limited to wildlife watching from observation points at the north end of Kyle Avenue and along the sidewalk on Skyway. No trails are planned because interior trails would disrupt the natural activities of the prairie dogs as well as the predator/prey interactions. Wetland portions of the site have very unstable soils, and therefore are not ideal for trails.
Prairie Dog Meadow is at the north end of Kyle Avenue and also borders East Skyway Drive. The approximate address is 6321 South Kyle Avenue, Fort Collins.
Activities and Events#
- Free educational activities and events in June-October are listed in the Natural Areas Explorer booklet guide.
- Last minute activity additions, trail recommendations and events offered between November-May are in our free monthly electronic newsletter- sign up on this page.
- Check out the Natural Areas Learning Library for some great self-guided activities.
- Know before you go safety and recreation information.
- Special people have volunteered to take an active role in the stewardship of natural areas by doing monthly litter pick-ups. You can join the fun and adopt a natural area, too!
- Fossil Creek Natural Areas Management Plan 2017, pdf
- Fort Collins Natural Areas Wildlife Management Guidelines