Public Engagement Update
Thank you to everyone who shared feedback about Kestrel Fields and Soapstone Prairie natural areas and the 21 natural areas along the Poudre River. Over 330 people participated in onsite drop-in events, online feedback opportunities, and presentations.
The feedback is being processed and will influence the trail alignment at Kestrel Fields, and how Soapstone Prairie and the Poudre River natural areas are managed.
Kestrel Fields Natural Area
- The feedback is informing exploration of an updated trail alignment. There will not be access from the Greyrock Commons private property.
- The entry sign will feature mountains in the background and a grasshopper in the kestrel's beak.
- Further updates will be available by the fall.
Soapstone Prairie/Mountains to Plains Zone Update
- Further engagement is underway (see feedback opportunity below) to respond to comments that its hard to tell when you have arrived at Soapstone Prairie and that the trail signage is confusing.
- Minor changes are being made to the Zone Update document and a final draft is expected in the fall.
Poudre River Natural Areas
- The feedback will inform the upcoming draft Zone Update.
River's Edge provides an opportunity to relax and enjoy the sights and sounds of the Cache La Poudre River. You might spot a red fox or deer, see a kingfisher or a mallard family float by. Rivers Edge Natural Area is part of a complex of parks and natural areas that create a natural green corridor along the river. Its a great natural escape just blocks from Downtown Fort Collins.
Parking at the west end of Woodlawn Drive (at approximately 300 Woodlawn Drive, Fort Collins); trail access from Lee Martinez Park and Salyer Natural Area.
Activities and Events#
- Free educational activities and events in June-October are listed in the Natural Areas Explorer booklet guide.
- Last minute activity additions, trail recommendations and events offered between November-May are in our free monthly electronic newsletter- sign up on this page.
- Check out the Natural Areas Learning Library for some great self-guided activities.
- Know before you go safety and recreation information.
- Poudre River Natural Areas Management Plan
- Bird Checklist- Courtesy of Fort Collins Audubon Society
- Plant List for River's Edge Natural Area Volunteers were critical in making the list possible, thank you!
- River's Edge Natural Area is an Important Bird Area, learn more here.