Cable TV Franchise#
The City has a non-exclusive cable franchise agreement in effect with the local subsidiary of Comcast Corporation. It became effective on August 1, 2015 and expires on July 31, 2025. You can read the current Cable TV Franchise Agreement with Comcast here.
Some key elements of the franchise are:
- Service area: The franchise requires that Comcast provide service to all residents within The City of Fort Collins. There may be charges for installation depending on the specific circumstances of each residence. Please contact Comcast for details.
- Comcast Work: Comcast has the right to occupy and access right-of-way easements located adjacent to both subscriber and non-subscriber property to install and maintain their cable infrastructure. Comcast must provide notice when undertaking such work and the notice requirements are set out in the Customer Service Standards.
- Programming: Pursuant to federal law, the City cannot require specific programming, other than that the company must provide diverse programming, influence the cost of service, or regulate other services provided over cable, such as high speed internet and digital voice services.
- For more information on our broadband initiative, please visit fcgov.com/broadband
Concerns or complaints related to the franchise or Customer Services Standards should be directed to the City's Franchise Administrator, Carson Hamlin, at (970) 221-6510.
City Of Fort Collins Cable TV Franchise FAQ#
No, the City of Fort Collins has a non-exclusive cable TV franchise meaning that any cable TV provider may come in to the City and negotiate a non-exclusive cable TV franchise.
Cable television, Public, Educational and Governmental (PEG) access television.
- Streaming services
First, contact your cable company at the number listed above. Be courteous and state the facts briefly, providing any additional information which supports your position. It will be helpful if you have your account number, copies of bills, receipts, Canceled checks, letters, and company notices – anything which supports your position.
When talking to your cable company, be sure to get the name of the people you talk with and keep copies of any correspondence from them. If you are sending a complaint by mail, do not send it with your bill and make sure you send it to the address listed on the top of the bill. Please do not send it to the City, as this will slow down any response.
Be very specific about what it is you are asking about. If you have more than one question or complaint, write them down so you cover them all. Also be specific about what it is you are asking your cable company to do: whether you are calling about a service call or a credit, tell them directly.
If you do not receive a satisfactory response, ask to speak with a supervisor. This is your right. If you are still not satisfied, you may contact us at the Office of Cable Communications for assistance. You may email a complaint to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 970-221-6510. Please be sure to include your name, the name of the person on the account, your telephone number on the account, and the address. Describe the problem clearly.
The City of Fort Collins has limited authority to regulate rates for basic cable service, installation, and service charges related to basic service, including the ability to review FCC rate filings by Comcast to ensure that the filings are prepared in accordance with FCC guidelines.
Limited Basic service is the lowest level of cable television service a subscriber can buy. It includes, at a minimum, all over-the-air television broadcast signals carried pursuant to the FCC must-carry rules, and any public, educational or government access channels required by the cable operator's franchise.
Expanded Basic / All other Tiers of Service Regulations
These levels of service include all program channels on the system other than basic service such as CNN, Showtime and pay-per-view. Rates for this level of programming are no longer regulated by the FCC or the local franchise authority as of March 31, 1999.
Comcast has both a website and toll free number. The website is:
Its number is 1-800-934-6489
Comcast also has a local office in Fort Collins located at:
1201 University Ave, Fort Collins, CO 80521
The City of Fort Collins currently has franchise agreements with Comcast according to the information on this page.
What Is Broadband?#
Broadband often refers to high-speed Internet access that is always on and faster than traditional dial-up service, however the term can also apply to cable television sometimes referred to as a “classic” broadband system.
Broadband users can access such services as internet, streaming media, internet phone (VoIP), gaming, TV and interactive services via a digital subscription, cable modem, fiber, wireless, satellite or broadband over power lines (BPL).
In accordance with FCC regulations, the City’s Comcast franchise cannot regulate internet, VoIP, streaming services, gaming and satellite services.
What the City’s franchise with Comcast covers:
- Cable television
- Public, Educational and Governmental (PEG) access television
What the City’s franchise with Comcast does not cover:
- Streaming services
Quarterly Franchise Reports#
- 2020-Q2,Q3 Cable Franchise Report
- 2020-Q1 Cable Franchise Report
- 2019-Q4 Cable Franchise Report
- 2019-Q3 Cable Franchise Report
- 2019-Q2 Cable Franchise Report
- 2019-Q1 Cable Franchise Report
- 2018-Q4 Cable Franchise Report
- 2018-Q3 Cable Franchise Report
- 2018-Q2 Cable Franchise Report
- 2018-Q1 Cable Franchise Report
- 2017-Q4 Cable Franchise Report
- 2017-Q3 Cable Franchise Report
- 2017-Q2 Cable Franchise Report
- 2017-Q1 Cable Franchise Report
- 2016-Q4 Cable Franchise Report
- 2016-Q3 Cable Franchise Report
- 2016-Q2 Cable Franchise Report
- 2016-Q1 Cable Franchise Report
2014 Cable TV Needs Assessment & Attachments#
- Cable Television Community Needs & Interests Assessment Survey Results prepared by Constance Ledoux Book, Ph.D. (February 2014; 195 pages; 2.1MB)