Contact Information Contact Information
Recycling Updates Newsletter Recycling Updates Newsletter
Recycling A to Z Recycling A to Z
From Thanksgiving to New Year's Day, household waste increases by more than 25%, adding an additional one million tons of waste to America’s landfills each week.
Sources: Reduce.org, CalRecycle, Use Less Stuff, EPA
For the Curbside Bin
Many holiday waste items are recyclable and can be put in your curbside recycle bin.
Some items cannot go into your curbside recycle bin, but can be recycled elsewhere.
Recycle your Tree
The City of Fort Collins offers free tree recycling from Dec. 26 through Jan. 20.
Tips to Reduce Your Holiday Waste
Go Green with Gifts
Look for gifts with minimal packaging, items that are made from recycled materials, or are produced locally.
Use LED lights and put lights on timers to turn on at dusk and off at bedtime. Leaving holiday lights on for 24 hours will quadruple energy costs and produce 4x more pollution than necessary!
Consider gifts with a smaller eco-footprint: Tickets to an event, movie, or show are excellent choices.
Be Mindful of Food Waste
The holiday season means even more wasted food. Save money, water, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions by wasting less!
- Plan meals ahead of time and buy only what you need
- Send leftovers home with guests and get creative with recipes that use leftovers
- Compost the rest
For the Curbside Bin
Holiday Lights & Extension Cords
Recycle strings of lights and extension cords at scrap metal recyclers.
Disposing of electronics in the trash or in your curbside recycle bin is illegal in Colorado due to the toxicity of their components.
Recycle Your Tree
Recycle your live Christmas tree for FREE, December 26 through January 20 at the drop off locations listed below.
Be sure to remove all items from tree before dropping off, including: lights, wire, hooks, ornaments, tinsel, and fake snow.
- Edora Park, 1420 E. Stuart St. (tennis court parking lot)
- Rolland Moore Park, 2201 S. Shields St. (southeast corner of parking lot)
- City Streets Facility, 625 Ninth St. (southwest corner of Vine and Lemay)
- Fossil Creek Park, 5821 S. Lemay Ave (enter on Lemay Ave.)
- Larimer County Landfill, 5887 S. Taft Hill Rd.
- Wellington Recycling Drop-off (Town Garage, corner of 6th and Grant)