Contact Information Contact Information
Recycling Updates Newsletter Recycling Updates Newsletter
Recycling A to Z Recycling A to Z
Got leaves? There are many options for handling fallen leaves at your home or business.
Reusing, recycling, and composting your leaves keeps them from going to landfills, which helps the City meet zero waste and climate action goals, and can save residents money by avoiding extra charges on trash bills.
Leaves are excellent for composting, and are put to use by farmers and residents as animal bedding and garden insulation. Leaves can also be mowed into grass by a mulching lawnmower, or can even support diversity by providing habitat in your yard when left on the ground.
Options to recycle fallen leaves locally:
- Sign up for curbside collection of yard trimmings with your waste hauler.
- Connect with neighbors who need leaves through online social networks such as Nextdoor or Facebook
- Visit our A-Z list for local yard waste drop-off options
- Compost them at home to feed your soil
- Use a mulching lawnmower to mulch dry leaves into your grass
- Cover garden beds with them to provide insulation over the winter
Benefits of leaving leaves on the ground:
- Dry leaves can be mulched into the lawn by using a mulching lawnmower, providing nutrients to grass
- Provides important habitat for beneficial insects and small mammals through the winter
- Provides nesting materials for birds
- Certain stem material (like that of sunflowers) provides habitat for native bees that bore into those types of stems for their homes
*** Effective October 2019 ***
The Fort Collins Leaf Exchange is no longer supported by the City of Fort Collins or Yahoo Groups. Community members looking to exchange leaves can connect using social media platforms such as Nextdoor and Facebook.