Contact Information Contact Information
Recycling Updates Newsletter Recycling Updates Newsletter
Recycling A to Z Recycling A to Z
Got leaves? There are many options for handling fallen leaves at your home or business. Leaves are excellent for composting, and are put to use by farmers and residents as animal bedding and garden insulation. Leaves can also be mowed into grass by a mulching lawnmower, or can even support diversity by providing habitat in your yard when left on the ground.
Options to recycle fallen leaves locally:
- Sign up for curbside collection of yard trimmings
- Connect with neighbors who need leaves through online social networks such as Nextdoor or Facebook
- Visit our A-Z list for local yard waste drop-off options
- Compost them at home to feed your soil
- Use a mulching lawnmower to mulch dry leaves into your grass
- Cover garden beds with them to provide insulation over the winter
Benefits of leaving leaves on the ground:
- Dry leaves can be mulched into the lawn by using a mulching lawnmower, providing nutrients to grass
- Provides important habitat for beneficial insects and small mammals through the winter
- Provides nesting materials for birds
- Certain steam material (like that of sunflowers) provides habitat for native bees that bore into those types of stems for their homes
The Leaf Exchange
The Environmental Services Department sponsors a free, web-based Leaf Exchange Program that helps residents with leaves they don’t want connect with farmers and gardeners who need leaves.
How To Use the Exchange:
- Visit the Leaf Exchange Yahoo! Group
Click “+ Join Group”
If you already have a Yahoo! login simply sign in. If you don't have a login, fill out the online form to create an account. Registration is required to reduce spam.
Read the Guidelines
View the Group Description to learn how to compose and post your "Leaves Wanted" or "Leaves Available" message.
- Bagged leaves should be dry and free of rocks, trash, pet waste, and branches.
- The City of Fort Collins makes no guarantees regarding the status of any listed material and it does not arrange transportation of materials.