Skip to main content

Noise Complaints#

What is the standard process for noise complaints?#

  1. A resident calls the non-emergency police number (970-419-3273) to complain about noise as the noise is occurring.
  2. A city police officer is dispatched to the neighborhood.
  3. The police officer has the discretion to determine if noise from the property is unreasonable. The noise ordinance is in effect 24 hours a day.
  4. Tickets issued by police officers can be given to one or all residents/roommates, with a maximum fine of $1,000 per person.
  5. If you receive a ticket, you will be given a date and time to appear for an arraignment date. On that day, you will be given a written advisement form, and one option listed on that form will be to meet with a prosecutor from the City Attorney's office to discuss possible plea dispositions.

How might the response be different for a registered party?#

  1. If a noise complaint is received by Police Dispatch and the party is registered, the party host could receive a call informing them about the complaint.
  2. If the host does not answer the call, the police officer will leave a message and call the second number. 
  3. If the second number is not answered, they will leave another message.
  4. From the time of the first phone call, the party host will have 20 minutes to break up their party.
  5. If a second noise complaint is received after the 20-minute grace period, dispatch will send an officer to the residence to deal with the noise.
  6. If there are any other problems, besides noise violations, then the 20-minute warning does not apply.

What happens if the police show up at a registered party?#

Citations may be issued for unreasonable noise violations to one or all residents. Unreasonable noise is a misdemeanor offense carrying a maximum penalty of a $1,000 fine and/or six months in jail.