Building News and Updates!#
The City of Fort Collins will be updating the adopted building codes to conform with the 2021 International Codes with local amendments.
- April 15th, 2022: New codes and amendments will go into effect.
- Second reading and approval (April 5th 2022): The proposed code adoption and amendments are presented to City Council for second reading and were approved. Note: this was originally scheduled for march 1st and has been postponed till April 5th.
- First Reading (February 15th 2022): The proposed code adoption and amendments were presented to City Council for first reading.
- Code committee: May 18 - July 20th 2021:The City and County, in cooperation with other local building departments, created a Code Adoption Review Committee to oversee the process and propose updates to local building code amendments. This committee met twice weekly from with public attendance/access via Zoom.
Updated building and development review fees will took effect January 1, 2022. The new fees are available HERE
After a multi-year process, the City is updating the approach to fee collection for both development review projects and building permits. As a result of the change in methodology, some fees will increase and others will decrease. Additional information on this fee update is provided HERE.
If you would like more information on how the new fee schedule relates to your project or have questions or concerns, please contact building services. BuildingServices@fcgov.com.
Notice: New Processing Fees in effect August 1st
Starting August 1, 2021:
- Debit / credit card transactions: A new 2.75% debit/credit card transaction fee will be assessed on all credit card transactions processed with the Development Review Center.
- E-checks: E-checks are 50 cents. You may drop checks in our drop box on the northwest side of the building. The blue drop box is checked throughout the day
Covid-19 and Building Services#
In response to National, State, and Local Declarations of Emergency, we are temporarily changing how we provide our services. For more information on the City's coronavirus response, visit fcgov.com/coronavirus.
Development Review Center is open in a limited capacity committed to providing customer service:
Hours: Monday - Thursday: 9am-12 noon; 1-4 p.m. (closed 12-1pm).
- Virtual services are available, and we encourage you to use them if possible.
- Recommended : schedule an appointment for in-person services (due to rising Coronavirus cases and limited on-site staff). Appointments can be scheduled by contacting a department from the contact list below. For Appointments:
- Enter the building using doors on College Avenue.
- Visitors are asked to follow directional signs posted inside.
- Visitors must wear a mask over the nose and mouth.
- Building Permits | BuildingServices@fcgov.com or 970-221-6760
- Submit permits by e-mail
- 30 min in-person permit application appointments can be scheduled (see hours and instructions above).
- Building Code Plan Review | email@example.com or 970-416-2757
- Zoning | firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-416-2745
- Development Review Coordinators | email@example.com or 970-221-6689
- Historic Preservation | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Planning | email@example.com or 970-416-4311
- Contractor Licensing | please submit electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org; payment will be collected over the phone at the time of processing
Building Services is happy to announce the completion of a new interactive GIS application for permits. Users will be able to search by address for current building permits, all building permits, and expired building permits. Once you locate an address, there are links to search for more information in Citizen Access and Public Records, enhancing the experience and functionality. We welcome you to try it and provide feedback on any improvements. Try the layer tab or the "filter building permits" tool under the home tab to further enhance your experience.
New State Requirement Effective January 1st 2020: Inspector verification of plumbing and electrical licenses in the field.