Winter Cycling 101
Interested in riding year-round but not sure how to get started? Winter Cycling 101 is a 2-hour presentation that teaches you how to ride safely and confidently in the winter. During this class, expert instructors will provide cycling tips for safe winter riding and recommend clothing and gear for enjoyable riding during the colder months. Registration required. Limited to 30 attendees.
- Wednesday, November 5, 4-6pm at CSU Lake Street Garage, Conference Room, Center Ave. and Lake St.
- Wednesday, December 3, 4:30-6:30pm at the Harmony Library, 4616 South Shields, Community Room
- Wednesday, January 7, 4-6pm at the Senior Center, 1200 Raintree Dr. Prairie Sage #1
- Wednesday, February 4, 6-8pm, at Northside Aztlan Community Center, 112 E. Willow St. in Lounge Area, en Español
To register, please complete this form: http://fcgov.BIKE-WINTER-14-15-Winter-Cycling-101-RSVP.sgizmo.com/s3/
Testimony from previous courses:
- “Better than I thought!”
- “Overall, great presentation. It's helpful to have experienced folks join (and attend) the presentation and provide feedback and input.”
Guided Winter Ride
Put your winter cycling knowledge to the test and join us for a beginner’s guided ride. This 2-hour leisurely ride will allow you to practice winter riding in a group setting, build your confidence and gain skills to venture out on your own. Registration required. Limited to 20 attendees.
- Saturday, November 8, 10am-noon. Meet at CSU’s Green Hall on Meridian.
- Saturday, December 6, 10am-noon. Meet in the Harmony Library lobby, 4616 South Shields
- Saturday, January 10, 10am-noon. Meet in the Senior Center lobby, 1200 Raintree Dr.
- Saturday, February 7, 10am-noon. Meet in the Northside Aztlan Community Center lobby, 112 Willow St.
To register, please complete this form: http://fcgov.BIKE-WINTER-14-15-Guided-Winter-Ride-RSVP.sgizmo.com/s3/
Light Up the Night
Did you know front lights are required ……? Don’t have one? Need replacement batteries? Visit one of our many Light-Up-the-Night stations this Bike Winter where we’ll be making sure commuters are riding bright! City of Fort Collins Police will be on hand to register bikes as well.
- Wednesday, November 12, 4-6pm at CSU. CSU students only.
- Wednesday, December 10, 4-6pm. Southwest corner of parking lot at Front Range Community College.
- Wednesday, January 14, 4-6pm. Parking lot entrance of Rolland Moore Park off of Shields.
- Wednesday, February 4, 6-8pm. Northside Aztlan Community Center Lobby, 112 Willow Street
8th Annual Winter Bike to Work Day Wednesday, December 10, 2014
It’s just like the summer, but even cooler! Join us, Wednesday, December 10 from 7 a.m.-9:30 a.m. for free breakfast, warm coffee and lots of fun bicycle friends to celebrate winter cycling. Stations are dispersed around town, ready to reward those who choose to ride their bicycles to work.
- List of Stations (coming soon!)
- Map of Stations (coming soon!)
Bike Plan Release Celebration & Ride
Saturday, December 13. Ride from 2-4pm departing from Cranknstein, celebration from 4-6pm at Cranknstein, 215 N. College Ave.
FC Bikes invites you to help us celebrate the anticipated completion of the 2014 Bicycle Master Plan. A fun wintery ride on the City’s low-stress network will kick off the afternoon festivities, concluding at Cranknstein with appetizers and comradery.
Winter Cycling Resources
- City of Fort Collins: Snow Removal Routes, http://www.fcgov.com/streets/snow-ice.php
- Bike Anchorage Winter Tips, http://www.bikeanchorage.org/winter_tips
- How to Bike Winter, http://bikewinter.org/howto
- Tips for Riding your Bike All Winter, http://www.mnn.com/family/protection-safety/stories/tips-for-riding-your-bike-all-winter
- Winter Cycling: How to Enjoy It, http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/winter-bicycling.html
- Your Winter Biking Guide, http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/transportation/stories/your-winter-biking-guide
For businesses interested in hosting a station in the future, please subscribe to our business email list (form at the top right of this page). For more information on Bike Winter or Winter Bike to Work Day, please contact Becky Moriarty at or 970-224-6112.