Pedestrian Needs Assessment#
A unique feature of the Fort Collins Pedestrian Assessment was our effort to map every public sidewalk. This interactive map will allow employees, residents, and visitors the opportunity to explore the sidewalk network to see where the City of Fort Collins is in most need of improvements based on the pedestrian prioritization model. In addition, a user can search and browse geographic information from other city departments by adding and removing data layers.
The City of Fort Collins Pedestrian Plan addresses citywide pedestrian needs, and is a data-driven approach based on the importance for safe, accessible, and sustainable walking within City limits. It however lacks comprehensive condition data for the City’s sidewalk system. Prior to the beginning of the Pedestrian Needs Assessment project, there was not an inventory of existing sidewalks or sidewalk deficiencies. This project provides a complete City sidewalk inventory, identifies sidewalk inadequacies, and access needs under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements.
In 2013, data collection was with approximately 540 street miles of sidewalk assessed and inventoried at this time.
37,000+ accessible ramps have been identified as acceptable, substandard, or missing in accordance with the ADA requirements.
Staff has implemented a methodology and analysis program used to prioritize pedestrian projects. This program takes into account a variety of factors such as, but not limited to, demand, corridor function, and high priority areas.
Updated April 3, 2018
- This update replaced pedestrian demand with “location” to provide a better understanding of how the terminology is being used within the prioritization model.
- Incorporated missing sidewalks map for the roadway network – the map demonstrates the locations based on Arterials/Non-Arterials.
Complete High Priority Connections
This is a test block.
The project list is for informational purposes only, and is subject to change as needs arise that were not identified in advance. The user is urged to contact the Engineering Department to confirm the accuracy of this information.
- 2021 Project List - A story map of the locations has been created...please click the title to view this information.
- 2020 Project List - Due to the unexpected impacts of COVID-19 the primary goal for 2020 is to install sidewalks along the north and south side of Prospect Road from Remington Street to Stover Street. This project is complete.
- 2018 Project List - A story map of the locations has been created...please click the title to view this information.