Landmark Rehabilitation 0% Interest Loans
The goal of the loan program is to improve the quality and integrity of designated historic resources in Fort Collins. Since historic buildings represent a source of pride for the community, a high standard of rehabilitation is expected of these structures. Every project is reviewed using the U.S. Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation to ensure high quality and workmanship. Ordinary maintenance items, such as painting or replacement of a roof with asphalt shingles, are typically not funded through this program. The program provides 0% interest loan funds to residential and non-residential historic properties. Loan funds are repaid to the City only through the sale or transfer of the property. Funds returned to the City are recycled back into the program, providing an ongoing source of dollars for additional projects.
The property to be rehabilitated shall be designated as Fort Collins Historic Landmark or a contributing structure in the Historic Old Town District, Whitcomb Street Historic District, or Sheely Drive Historic District. Properties listed on the State or National Registers, or within State or National Register Districts, are not eligible unless they are also a Fort Collins Landmark. The designation process can take several months. Please contact Maren Bzdek at 970-221-6206 for more information on landmark designation.
About the Program
- The maximum loan amount for any property in a single year is $7,500. There is no minimum loan amount. There is no application fee.
- There are no restrictions on the number of loan awards an applicant may receive.
- Loans are 0% interest.
- Loans are due to the City upon sale or transfer of the property. There is no monthly repayment.
- A minimum cash match of 50% of the total project cost is required. A larger cash match will improve the chances of being funded. Funds provided by other organizations, such as History Colorado, can be used to match the City's loan.
- Any residential or non-residential structure that has been designated a local historic landmark is eligible for no-interest loan funding. Local landmarks are buildings that have been designated for protection by the City of Fort Collins City Council. In addition, properties in a local landmark district (Historic Old Town District, Whitcomb Street District, and Sheely Drive Historic District) are eligible. Properties must be designated before a loan can be approved.
- A pre-application submittal meeting with City staff should occur at least one week before the submittal deadline. The meeting is intended to help you with preparing a quality application and to clarify the eligibility of any proposed work. Some projects may require design assistance through our related incentive program for landmark property owners. Please contact Maren Bzdek at 221-6206 to make arrangements before January 18, 2019.
- Application Submittal. Applications are due February 1, 2019. Applications must be postmarked on or before the deadline or hand-delivered by 5:00 p.m. on that date. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Landmark Preservation Commission (LPC) review. The LPC holds one or two hearings in February and March to review the design of loan-related projects. The applicant or his/her representative is required to attend the meeting. The selection process is based on a simple ranking system and, depending on available funding, not all qualifying projects are guaranteed to receive funding. Some projects may receive less than the amount requested.
Please submit all applications to:
Maren Bzdek, Senior City Planner - Historic Preservation
Phone: (970) 221-6206
281 N. College Avenue
City of Fort Collins
P.O. Box 580
Fort Collins, Colorado 80522