2023 Landmark Rehab Loans - Application Open!
Please contact staff to discuss your project before applying. Awards will be considered for qualifying and complete applications submitted after February 14 on a first-come-first-served basis until funds are expended. Download the Program Guide for more detailed info!
Rehab Right: Landmark Rehabilitation Loans#
Part of "rehabbing right" is leveraging available funding to help maintain your historic property. The City of Fort Collins provides zero-interest loans to help City Landmark owners complete projects that keep these sources of community pride in good condition. These loans provide a financial tool to finance rehabilitation and repair projects with no interest with repayment in full due at the owner's discretion. Funds returned to the City are recycled back into the program, providing an ongoing source of dollars for additional projects.
Fort Collins City Council established this loan program in 1994 to help property owners of City Landmarks. The program is governed under Chapter 14, Article V of the Fort Collins Municipal Code, which establishes the general intent and aspects of the program:
- Maximum loan amount: The maximum loan amount for any property in a single year is $7,500. There is no minimum loan amount. There is no application fee. There are no restrictions on the number of loan awards an applicant may receive.
- Interest: Loans are 0% interest.
- Cash Match: Applicants must provide a cash match of at least the same amount requested in loan funds (i.e., 50% match). Funds provided by other organizations, such as History Colorado, can be used to match the City's loan.
- Repayment Schedule: Loan repayment is made in a single lump-sum at the recipient's discretion, or when the property is sold, transferred, or refinanced.
To qualify for funding, a project must be on a property that has been designated as Fort Collins Historic Landmark or a contributing structure in a City Landmark District. Listing a property in the State or National Registers, or within State or National Register Districts, does not qualify a property for City loan funds. Properties must be designated as Historic Landmarks before a loan can be approved.
Not sure if your property is a Fort Collins Landmark? Check here.
Think you have a property that is eligible for Landmark status but hasn't been designated yet? Find out more about applying for Landmark designation.
2023 Application Opens February 14! Applications received before that date will not be accepted.
Pre-application meeting: A pre-application discussion with City staff is recommended and should occur prior to submitting an application. This discussion (via phone or Zoom) is intended to help you prepare a quality application and to clarify the eligibility of any proposed work. Some projects may require design assistance through the City's Design Assistance Program. To set up a meeting, contact Historic Preservation staff.
Design Review: All proposed loan projects must receive a Certificate of Appropriateness from staff or the HPC (larger projects).
Applications can be submitted:
- By email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- At a drop-off location - 281 N. College Ave. (front counter during business hours or exterior drop box at NW corner of building)
- Or Mailed to:
ATTN: Historic Preservation Services
City of Fort Collins
PO Box 589
Fort Collins, CO 80522
Questions? You can reach Historic Preservation staff by email at email@example.com or by phone at (970) 224-6078.