Trash and Recycling Enclosures#
The City of Fort Collins requires trash and recycling containers to be screened/enclosed in the following scenarios:
- All new developments,
- developments where a change of use is proposed and
- developments expanding by more than 25%.
Careful consideration should be given when designing an enclosure. Properly designed enclosures are well built, aesthetically pleasing and ensure that both users and service provides are able to access and navigate them in an efficient manner. A properly designed enclosure will provide adequate space for recycling and trash services and, where applicable, may also provide space for compost, linen and waste cooking oil services and the like without impeding pedestrian or service vehicle access.
- Land Use Code requirements and code language: Standard 3.2.5
- See the Enclosure Design Consideration Document for more detailed information on enclosure design recommendations and requirements.
- See the Multi-Unit Trash and Recycling Service Calculator to determine the level of trash and recycling service needed for multi-unit developments.