Contact Information Contact Information
Recycling Updates Newsletter Recycling Updates Newsletter
Waste Reduction and Recycling Assistance Program (WRAP)
Not sure how to go about starting or improving a recycling or compost program? The City of Fort Collins is committed to helping business and multi-family complexes increase their recycling and composting. We’ll look at your current systems and suggest what a recycling or compost program might look like for your site. If there are any likely barriers to starting a program, we can help brainstorm solutions. Once you’re ready to start a program, we’re available to help with program implementation and education of your staff or residents.
- Free on-site assessments.
- Communication materials: Informational recycling guidelines posters are available at no charge. We are happy to provide you with enough copies to handout to your current residents or employees and new residents or employees as they arrive. The poster is also available in laminated or metal format for indoor and outdoor use. Having issues with illegal dumping in your current trash bins? We also provide free metal "No Dumping” signs as a deterrent.
Rebates: for business and multi-family complexes starting a new recycling or compost program.
- Start Recycling
- Start-up Costs Rebate – 75% rebate on items such as indoor recycling bins or other start-up costs (up to $250 per applicant)
- Start Composting
- Service Rebate – 50% rebate on your first six months of recycling or compost service when you sign up for one year of service (up to $500 per applicant, does NOT apply for businesses required to compost).
- Start-up Costs Rebate – 75% rebate on items such as indoor recycling bins or other start-up costs (up to $250 per applicant)”
For additional information, to schedule an on-site assessment, or to receive a rebate application, contact Caroline Mitchell at 970-221-6288 or Y21pdGNoZWxsQGZjZ292LmNvbQ==.
In September 2016, Fort Collins City Council adopted the Community Recycling Ordinance, which requires businesses and apartment complexes to begin recycling by the end of 2020. As of 10/1/2016, the recycling service rebate is no longer be available. The recycling start-up cost rebate remains available (see above).
In Fort Collins, residential locations in which each unit has its own trash bin are covered by the City's Pay-As-You-Throw (PAYT) ordinance, which bundles the cost of trash and recycling. The majority of apartment and condo complexes use shared trash dumpsters and are not included in the PAYT ordinance. Trash haulers are required to provide recycling service to complexes if requested, but will charge an additional fee for the service. The additional charge for recycling can often be offset by decreasing the amount of trash service at the complex. An assessment from the Waste Reduction and Recycling Assistance Program (WRAP) can help you understand your options.