Si necesitas Español
Ver los recursos abajo en Español
Make it Happen: Implementation Grants#
Nature in the City would like to help you and your community create more access to nature and improve wildlife habitats throughout Fort Collins. Make it Happen: Implementation Grants will include small (up to $5,000), medium (up to $25,000), and large-scale (greater than $25,000) projects that help us reach our goals.
Timeline for applications and grant funds:
- Applications will open on September 1, 2023
- Applications are due at midnight on October 20, 2023
- Awardees announced by mid-December 2023
- Funds available after paperwork is completed February/March 2024
This grant opportunity is thanks to the voter-approved Community Capital Improvement Program. Thank you for your support!
How to Apply
There are lots of resources on this website to assist you with the application process and answer many of your questions in both English and Spanish. We suggest you start by reviewing:
- the Frequently Asked Questions section below,
- and then the detailed step-by-step guide.
We also have these resources for you:
- A recorded “how to apply” presentation
- A copy of the application questions you’ll find on the ZoomGrants platform
- An example completed application with sample attachments
Frequently Asked Questions#
Nature in the City has funds from the Community Capital Improvement Program to apply towards community-driven projects that provide increased access and stewardship to high-quality natural spaces. The two types of grant funding opportunities are project planning and project implementation – Dream it Up and Make it Happen!
Dream it Up: Planning grants can help groups form win-win partnerships, discover and overcome early challenges, and gain input and buy-in from the community the project will serve. Additionally, planning grants improve the quality of projects and the ease of implementation. An expected outcome might be a professional, community-approved landscape plan for your dream project. Dream it Up grants were funded in 2023 and will be again in 2025.
Make it Happen: Implementation grants help fund the installation of community projects that bring more wildlife habitat and access to nature into our community. Implementation grants can be small projects for natural spaces that need improved habitat or larger projects that create neighborhood buy-in, inspire stewardship, as well as provide habitat and access to nature. Make it Happen grants were funded in 2022 and will be again in 2024 for ready to install projects. Applications will be available and due this (2023) fall.
- Home Owner Associations
- Faith-based organizations
- Affordable housing communities
- Mobile-home communities
- Apartment Complexes
- Committed community members with creative project ideas
Nature in the City can fund a wide variety of on the ground projects. Get creative with it! Some ideas include:
- Native-habitat gardens
- Nature play areas
- Outdoor classrooms/gathering spaces
- Mini habitat/pollinator restorations
- Turf conversions to native habitat
- Habitat enhancements to your existing green space
- Your unique ideas!
Check out some of the past projects here!
- Projects within the Fort Collins growth management area
- Hiring a landscape company to install the project (implementation phase)
- Hiring a landscape designer to plan the project (planning phase)
- Up to 15% of your grant funds can go towards staff and outreach costs, collectively
- Completing a minor amendment through the City's Zoning Department for your project (planning or implementation phase)
- Individual homeowner projects. Those are now funded through XIP (Xeric Incentive Program, see Native Bonus Rebate)
- Programs and activities (e.g. environmental education, clean up days, research)
- Project maintenance
- Projects outside of the City of Fort Collins growth management area
- Non-native landscapes
- Completed application
- A project team (including landowner)
- Budget worksheet
- Site photos
- Landscape plan
- Landowner permission
Have More Questions?#
Office Hours will be available in September.
You can also email us directly at any time: