Skip to main content

Building Services

Employees and Exempt Specialized Trade Subcontractors#


A list of the licensed contractor's employees is required for all payroll trade employees regulated herein who are performing work on a Fort Collins job site, if the employee is someone other than the license holder or the supervisor certificate holder. The employee list showing the employee name and last 4 digits of their Social Security number must be provided on the licensed company letterhead. A current copy of worker's compensation insurance must be submitted to the Building Services department for any contractor with employees working on the job site.

As employees are hired throughout the year, an updated employee list should be faxed or mailed to Building Services.

Subcontractors and/or independent contractors are required to have their own license with the exception of exempt specialized trade subcontractors (see below).

Exempt Specialized Trade Subcontractors:#

Only licensed specialized trade contractors may utilize exempt specialized trade subcontractors. An exempt specialized trade subcontractor is any person, firm, partnership, corporation, association, other organization, or any combination thereof, which:

  • Is paid or otherwise compensated to perform construction or a trade for which a specialized trade contractor license is required but does not have such license;
  • Is not a payroll employee of a specialized trade contractor; and
  • Performs work pursuant to a direct subcontract with a licensed specialized trade contractor.

When such exempt subcontractors are used, the licensed specialized trade contractor is responsible for employing a City approved supervisor who is required to be readily available and present full-time on the project site where such subcontracted work is being performed to ensure that when completed such work fully conforms to applicable code(s).

Each exempt specialized trade subcontractor must be registered with the Building Services Department. See Exempt Specialized Trade Subcontractor form

All exempt specialized trade subcontractors must provide proof of general liability insurance coverage and, if utilizing payroll employees, proof of worker's compensation insurance coverage for all employees. Exempt specialized trade subcontractors may not be used by any Class A, A(DR), B, B(DR), C-1, C-1(DR), C-2, C-2(DR), D-1, D-2, D-2(DR), E, ER, or MM general contractors.