Contact Information Contact Information
Development Review Newsletters Development Review Newsletters
An exam is required in order to obtain a Supervisor Certificate for all General Contractor licensing categories and many of the Specialized Trade contractor licensing categories.
The 2015 ICC (International Code Council) codes were adopted along with City Amendments on July 17, 2017. An applicant for any of the license/certificates noted below must provide documentation of a passed ICC (International Code Council) administered exam from an approved Pearsonvue testing center (unless an exam is not required to obtain a supervisor certificate for that class of license). Please see the bottom of this page for a listing of those licenses not required to test. A list of approved ICC testing centers is available from the ICC website: www.iccsafe.org. See specific license categories below for more details on other exam requirements. The only new supervisor certificate exam offered by the City of Fort Collins will be for the Specialized Trade of Framing.
The Specialized Trade Framing exam will be offered by the City of Fort Collins at the Community Development and Neighborhood Services building, located at 281 N. College Avenue. Please call 970-416-2740 if you would like more information regarding this exam. A framing exam applicant is limited to two (2) attempts on the same exam within any six month period unless the applicant can demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the Building Official, that they have completed additional coursework covering the building code, or other applicable codes, or unless they receive approval from the Building Review Board. The framing exam format is a mix of multiple-choice, fill-in-the-blank, and true/false responses. Questions are not intended to be trick questions. All have only one correct response and should be read carefully and completely since there are many exceptions and conditions in the Code. Only basic mathematics is required and a simple calculator is useful.
General Contractor License
The Following ICC Administered (Pearsonvue) Exams Are Required For The General Contractor License Categories Noted Below:
Be sure to take the appropriate type of contractor exam for the class of license you wish to obtain. The 2015 International Building Code (IBC) is currently in effect for commercial and multi-family construction. The 2015 International Residential Code (IRC) is currently in effect for single family detached, duplex, and property line-townhomes.
Required Exams for General Contractor Class A, Class A-DR, Class B and Class B-DR:
- ICC National Standard Building Contractor A Exam F11, over the 2015 IBC; and either the ACI 318-08, or 318-11 Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete & Commentary or, the 2012 or 2015 ICC Concrete Manual
Required Exams for General Contractor Class C1, Class C1-DR, Class C2, Class C2-DR and Class E:
- ICC National Standard Building Contractor B Exam F12, over the 2015 IBC/2015 IRC; and either the ACI 318-08, or 318-11 Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete & Commentary or, the 2012 or 2015 ICC Concrete Manual. The ICC National Standard Building Contractor A Exam F11, would also be accepted for the license categories noted above.
Required Exams for General Contractor Class D1, Class D2, Class D-DR, Class ER & Class MM (Residential Only Licenses):
- ICC National Standard Building Contractor C Exam F13, over the 2015 IRC; and either the ACI 318-08, or 318-11 Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete & Commentary or, the 2012 or 2015 ICC Concrete Manual.
The following exam is required for the Specialized Trade Contractor Framing license:
Pending the updated exam to the 2015 IBC, the City of Fort Collins will offer the specialized trade exam for Framing only, over the 2006 IBC and City Amendments to the 2006 IBC
Specialized Trade Solar Energy Exam Requirements:
Exams are included as part of the certification process (proof of individual certification required) for either COSEIA (Colorado Solar Energy Industries Association) or NABCEP (North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners). The City of Fort Collins specialized trade Solar Energy exam requirements will be met once the applicant is certified with COSEIA or NABCEP. Contact COSEIA at 303-333-7342 or visit their website for more information regarding the COSEIA certification requirement. Visit NABCEP at http://www.nabcep.org/
Specialized Trade Contractor License
The Following ICC ADMINISTERED (Pearsonvue) Exams Are REQUIRED For The Specialized Trade Contractor License Categories Noted Below:
- ICC National Standard Master Gas Pipe Fitter Exam N33; based on the 2009 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC). The 2012 code version exam is currently not available from ICC, we will accept the 2009 code version of this exam.
HVAC(C), HVAC(R), HVAC(RR) and HVAC Refrigeration:
- ICC National Standard Master Mechanical Exam F29, based on the 2015 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC), 2015 International Mechanical Code (IMC), and the 2017 National Electrical Code (NEC).
Roofing and Roofing +(Plus):
- ICC National Standard Roofing Contractor/Subcontractor Exam F14, based on the 2015 International Building Code (IBC) and 2015 International Plumbing Code (IPC).
No exams are required for the following specialized trade contractor licenses:
- Fire Alarms
- Fire Sprinkler Systems (requires fire department approval)
- Flammable Fuel Facilities (requires fire department approval)
- Wireless Telecommunication Systems (WTS)